Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapport - Trusteer

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Rapport - Trusteer

Do I need this ?   I do on-line banking and paypal.... but I think this prog may be causing another prog to behave differently, to how it used to ...  THe

Just uninstalled, Rapport. and the prog I was talking about, now seems to be working as it did before.

Scenario.... Using "Lightshot" as an add=on with FIrefox to take screen shots.  used to be able to click the "feather"  icon at bottom right task bar, and the screen went "opaque"... then you adjusted the area of screen shot boundary and clicked the save icon..

With Rapport ( recently updated, methinks) .. when clicking the "feather" icon the screen goes totally black... cannot see any area that you would need to take the screenshot. 

If using the "prt scrn" key, or using the "feather" icon on the top tool bar, the sceen momentarily disappears, and Trusteer shoves a "Popup" in your face. about the screenshot "may" contain security stuff... continue or dismiss ... then you can eventually get a screen shot area ... i.e. it puts barriers up, that are totally inconvenient to the user ( ME ).

37 REPLIES 37
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Rapport - Trusteer

Fix

My personal opinion of Trusteer Rapport is so bad I can't type the words in this forum without getting banned for life!  I have been 'doing' IT for the best part of 40 years and I always remove this unnecessary software at my earliest convenience wherever I find it on any client machine.  My PayPal and online banking have never been compromised, nor have I ever had a virus infection on any of my (many, many) machines during this time.  IMHO, Trusteer Rapport is invasive, pervasive, power hungry and unnecessary.  Any establishment that forces this on you should be banned from supplying internet based services forever.  Forever and a day.  Forever and ever and ever...  Well, you get my drift...

Live long and prosper!
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@shutter - I can only echo what @adrianscotter has said, I have removed that bloatware from all my familys' machines and forcefully advised them never to download it - despite the fact that Santander (for one) shoves it i  your face every time you login to the site.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@adrianscotter  so..... you`re not keen on it, then  ? ? ? ? ?   Cheesy

I must say, that I think pages load a lot quicker since the uninstall.... maybe that`s a bonus.

@jab1  Thanks for your input, too..... just had a thought..... this may be something that has been slowing down my little 10inch laptop... ( see RAM thread ) ...

adrianscotter
Pro

Well, 'not so keen' is one description Cool_smiley absolutely hate it with a passion you could photograph could be another way and the rest, I cannot bring my little fingers to type.  I'd hate to sully my keyboard lol

And yes, anything you do on tinterweb will be more crisp with the Rapport removed.

Live long and prosper!
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Highly likely, @shutter - once it invoked , it stays there until you close you machine down - or kill the blighter in Task Manager.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

... just had a thought..... this may be something that has been slowing down my little 10inch laptop... ( see RAM thread ) ...

@shutter

I was about to say the same!

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Just in case anyone is worried about their bank not dealing with online fraud if the app isn't installed.
See this which article which makes it clear that the security of online banking is the banks responsibility.
https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005579745-Should-you-use-Trusteer-Rapport-
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Oh dear, I have it installed but I really can't say I've noticed it slowing things down. Heck pages load so fast, sometimes I blink and don't even notice the change. But on slow boxes any 'surplus to requirements' program running will slow things down. Bound too.

But saying that, I have something that automatically runs with Firefox on the left hand side of the URL.That also tells me things about sites etc. Not that I've ever really bothered to look.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you use Task Manager (or similar) to see what is going on behind the scenes in your computer you will see that as soon as the computer starts, the Trusteer software will "phone home".  Goodness only know what it is reporting or downloading but on a less powerful computer it can use up a lot or resource whilst it is doing this so the whole start-up is delayed by some minutes and this is long before you even open up a web browser.  I'm with @adrianscotter 100%! 

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm glad I'm not the only sceptical one regarding this software.  My bank regularly urges me to install it when I log on to my account with them, but so far I've resisted (and will now continue to do so).

I read last week that the banks are lobbying the government to change the law so that they are no longer responsible for money lost through online fraud.  There have been reports of some banks trying to wriggle out of their responsibility if the customer can be shown not to have installed all the latest security updates etc.

adrianscotter
Pro

@mikelahey wrote:
Just in case anyone is worried about their bank not dealing with online fraud if the app isn't installed.
See this which article which makes it clear that the security of online banking is the banks responsibility.
https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005579745-Should-you-use-Trusteer-Rapport-

Thanks for the link @mikelahey I took a little while to read their 'blurb' and took the time for a wry smile at their (obvious) sales talk in their descriptions.

Online security is something that irritates me in the way it is dealt with.  Everybody on the planet is ultimately responsible for their own safety and security.  Does anybody (with any common sense) try and manufacture napalm in their kitchen?  No, of course they don't.  Why?  Because it dangerous.  Why is online security any different?  It isn't.

I'd like to take a couple of minutes and ask some multiple choice questions of you all Smiley

1 If I approach you in the street and ask you for your credit / debit card details do you...

a: Tell me

b: Punch me in the mouth

2 If I call you on the telephone and ask you for your date of birth, mothers maiden name and favourite colour do...

b: Hang up the telephone

3 If I email you 'out of the blue' and ask you to confirm your bank details to m, do you

b: Delete the email

If you answered any with 'a' I have one further question.  Do you still have the original box your device came in?  If you do, send your device back because you're too stupid to own any internet connected device.

Security is not comparable to fluid dynamics, rocket science or brain surgery.  It's all about common sense, always ask yourself this: 'If I was asked this same question by a total stranger in the street, would I give up this information?'  Even if a police officer were to ask you (or me) to confirm your bank login details to him / her. would you do it?  I'm sure I would just laugh and walk away.  Why should basic internet security be any different?  Nobody but NOBODY will ever ask you to confirm anything if they are legitimate and if they do, their security sucks and you need to go to a reputable company / entity for whatever they supply.

If this offends you, I'm sorry but it's for your own good.

Live long and prosper!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Feel free to load a massive piece of bloatware if it makes you feel better.

Won't make an ounce of difference to your security, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I've slated Rapport many times over the years on this forum, I'm surprised you even bothered with it @shutter, it really is totally rubbish.

I tried it in the past, it crashed my system, refused to uninstall, basically rooted itself right in and i had to reformat the HDD and reinstall windows.

I told the bank if they ever provided me software like that again I'd abandon my tower on their customer services desk and let them clean up their mess.

I did ask them to compensate me for my time, they declined.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... It`s "one of those things"..... been on the computer for a long time... never really had any bother with it.......until just recently as described in the o.p...   I will certainly keep an eye out for it, secretly invading my privacy, in future ! ..

Thanks for the story..

Wink