cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Problems with Virtual Machine Mint 16 (title changed) !

Well, Well, Well..... all is Well !... now I have the driver installed. it ( the usb adapter, and the morse key ) are working ....
minor problem, there is a time lag between the actual key press and the sound appearing ( about 1 second) so it is not perfect... got to think of a way of solving that... but am pleased with results so far,
Have said it before, on my posts... Thanks very much for the help... and Thanks for your patience... I really DO appreciate it all...
Thank you ... Wink

@HB  I did try to download the driver but it was a .zip file, and the VM(XP) would not open/recognise it... so I downloaded it on my other laptop... unzipped it and then installed it from the USB stick,  ................... ! !
Thanks..  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Install P7Zip in to the VM. You forget how much is missing from a "clean" install of XP  Cheesy
As to delays probably down to the VM you could try running it in full screen mode and see if that helps.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... yes.. I take your point... about "clean install"..... but won`t go into a windows / linux war ! ! ....
As for the delay.... a friend of mine in Harrogate, has a laptop that is running Win 8 ... and he reports the same delay when transmitting....  I thought it might have been the usb driver I downloaded ( as it was probably "the latest" version... so I searched for an XP version, and downloaded that ... uninstalled the first version... installed the xp version...but still the same...
have tried all the VIEW modes and none made any difference.... as you say... it is probably cos the XP is going thru the VM  to get to the sound card... Will probably not use it, unless I turn down the volume... however, that kinda defeats the purpose of sending morse.... part of the enjoyment is to hear it and decode it, even if it does appear on the screen. and it is not so interesting to just watch the other guy sending text on a screen... everyone has their own distinct style, like a fingerprint, of how they send morse... which gives it "some" personality... it can be said, of a person`s skill, and style.... " you have a good "fist"...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is it you are trying to do?
I've forgotten... Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Ho Ho ho ! ...  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

New Problem ! ! !..
Copy & Paste or Drag & Drop..... from VM (XP)  ( my pics folder ) to start with.... on to the Mint Desktop/Folder

I have  "Drag & Drop" on the VM(XP) Devices tab set at "Bi-Directional.... however. as soon as I get the cursor crossing the border ! it decides to drop the pics on a vertical toolbar with the folder title... it will not Copy & Paste across the border either...
any help Please........  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

PLEASE start a NEW thread for each new problem. It just gets too confusing knowing what problem you have next,
BUT if you had checked the HELP
Drag'n'Drop
This setting allows to enable Drag and Drop: Select a file on the desktop, click the left mouse button, move the mouse to the VM window and release the mouse button. The file is copied from the host to the guest. This feature is currently only implemented for Linux guests and only for copying files from the host to the guest.[12]
Use shared folders. -- see help on how to.
shutter
Community Veteran

As this is a problem with how VM (XP) is working. I thought it would be better to keep ALL the problems in one thread... but.... if you insist.... then I shall start a new one. !..
Meanwhile.....
I entered "drag & drop" in the "help " > contents search box... clicked on Go. and it returned a previous help, 3.9 Serial Ports... which is of no help whatsoever.... and it has just done the same thing now, since you pointed me to it.. I thought I would repeat the operation....

What you say in your  "Drag & Drop" reply, indicates that it is impossible to drag & drop bidirectionally... or to be more specific... in my case... can only be done FROM LINUX to the VM(XP)...
However... as I explained in my posting.... IT DOESN`T WORK...  either way.... from Mint to XP..... from XP to Mint... nor Bidirectional... 
What is the point of having a function... like usb ports..... like drag & drop (bidirectiona) if they don`t work OOB ? and need to have specific instructions to make them work "as designed".. i.e. simply!.
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

This feature is currently only implemented for Linux guests and only for copying files from the host to the guest

What you say in your  "Drag & Drop" reply, indicates that it is impossible to drag & drop bidirectionally... or to be more specific... in my case... can only be done FROM LINUX to the VM(XP)...

As HB quoted, the feature you want only works for copying to a linux guest, ie a Linux VM........... and as your guest is XP VM it will not work.
To share files use shared folders.
As to working OOB. Virtualbox is not supplied as a default program in most Linux distros and therefore takes a little patience and a lot of reading to obtain the most out of the program.
I like testing live/bootable usb drives but without a work around this is NOT a feature of virtualbox and is not likely to be added due to the complexities of the coding...... something I accept and use the work around Smiley
Be patient shutter, the more knowledge you gain the easier it gets Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... Yeah... I can understand the problems of"coding" for various O.S`s with Vb being used either way... (host or guest)... but it still seems strange that HB says that XP is a "proper" install on the VB and yet it doesn`t quite seem to be the case... cos if it were... then USB support would be "normal".... and so would drag & drop... especially if there is the choice on DEVICES of three ways to do it... one would expect it to work... if it doesn`t work... then it seems that it should not be there as a function/choice ....
Was getting really interested in using Linux Mint 16 with the Virtual Box... because I had the idea of just using it for my windows progs that I couldn`t get working on Linux... however.. I am begining to lose interest... and will probably revert back to windows for another year..... !..
Ah well...I suppose it has kept me off the streets... stopped me vandalising phone boxes, and mugging old ladies.... now the summer is here.... what else can I do  ? ? ? 
Thanks guys... will see you around !...  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The result I posted was from a search in my help, why yours didn't return the same value I have no idea.
VB is not a Linux product, is not supported by any disto, only by Sun, I suggest you complain to them.
Setting up shared folders is EASY and will allow you to do what you want to, to copy files back and forward from a VM to the host.
If you are "begining to lose interest." then fine go back to M$ no one is forcing you to use Linux in any form. A lot of us find it just works for us and find no need to run a VM/dual boot/why just to run a particular program.
Summer is here - certainly is it is persistent this morning  Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you need to copy small files there are other methods...
Such as Dropbox - which has Linux and Windows native software.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

I have 3 or 4 progs that will not run in Linux.... and I use them quite a lot.... there is no linux equivalent, unless I use 2or more progs to do what the original did " all in one go " so to speak..
As I do a lot of photography. ( I can take in excess of 200 pics in a day ) downloading and renaming them and deleting them " all in one go " just is not available in Linux... I have searched and tried just about every app, Nothing works like Windows download does.... It downloads the pics,.... puts them in a dated folder,.... renames them.... and deletes them from the card.... All I had to do was put a tick in a box to get that working like that !... there was a program that did half of that, but the format was not the same,  ( and I could not adjust it to what I wanted )... it did not put them into a dated folder, and I had to move pics from one folder to another after renaming/renumbering each one seperately... then... I had to delete the pics from the card...
A couple of other editing progs that I use did not work in Linux... so I was hoping that if I could get over the above, then using the VM and those progs , inside VM, It might have been a workable system...
The Drag & drop debacle... really killed it... again.. I`m not sure about "shared folders"... sounds like it might be a double moving job .... but hey ho !.. ......
The media player  I use.... GOM player... does not work properly in Linux WINE... and I often use that together with movies I have shot, to pic individual frames, using the "multi snapshot" feature... not available in  Linux progs...  ( VLC only does one shot at a time.. whereas you can do many many shots in GOM player... and pic the best/one required )..
GOM player did not work properly on the VM either... so that was a double whammy for me...
My CWCOM program "worked"... but it was a pain in VM... because of the delay in the sound appearing in the phones/speaker after the key was pressed.  It worked fine on Linux mint.... again. a lot of faffing about to get the comport recognised.
Not complaining to you, about VM not being fit for purpose.... just making observations as to why "essentials" are so hard to get working... just like Linux....
All in all... it was a good exercise for me.... I did learn something.... and MINT and WINE have improved a lot since I first ventured into the Linux world....  ( Mint 8 )... so maybe by the time Mint 24 comes out... it will be a bit easier... ( I`ll probably be 75 yrs old then and won`t even consider it  ! ! !    Cheesy )
Thanks for all your help... it was not a "complete" waste of time.... and I do have it on a HDD for a standby system if Windows should fail me completely !...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Shared folders:
You have ONE (set) of folders on your host machine that you can connect to the client as a drive letter (M$ speak), so say ~/shutter/pictures is shared, in the VM you mount the shared folder mark it as always, and the client pc sees it as a network drive, mount it and it is permanently assigned a drive on you VM.
No doubling of folders or duplication just the same folder on main and client.
Never used gom, I use vlc or the default media player to play media.
Well bye bye from us on the Linux side.