Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems copy/paste to a USB Drive

FIXED
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Problems copy/paste to a USB Drive

I never asked you to run servers @shutter. With both of these machines on can they access the Internet? If yes, then they can connect to each other.

OK, you may need to run the SSH daemon, on them but that's not the end of the works and with it running you'll be able to copy to / from each machine.

It maybe a bit late now, but the last picture in post #7 shows the Format Disk... option, you should have used that to format the disks to make them mountable.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Mook  No, you didn't.... but the linky was referring to servers, ... so I dismissed it, as I don`t know anything about them... and it just seemed to be talking about complicated stuff.  !... ( don`t forget,.. I am a novice with Linux terminology and don`t understand half of what I am reading ! ! ! ) ....

Yes both machines do connect to the internet... but my problem was about copying and pasting to a USB stick.

The problem was not apparent for the past couple of weeks, as I was using that small laptop all tday long, and the same usb sticks ( all pre formatted with FAT32 ).... suddenly, yesterday...they started to refuse the transfer,... and it seems that the "ownership" had changed, BUT ONLY ON THAT MACHINE.. putting the same USB sticks into the ASUS ROG , .... they presented properly, and had all permissions granted...

I did use the "DISKS" to format the usb`s and also the "usb formatter" in the menu...

It wasn`t until I decided to try and format with NTFS that the problem "seems" to be resolved... but it`s weird that it happened in the first place, as I had changed nothing.. apart from the usual updates ( to both machines at the same time, side by side )

It`s also weird that the recommended format system for use on Windows and Linux  is FAT32  and it did not work... but NTFS did !.

Maybe something has corrupted on the Linux MInt 20.2 Mate.. so I `ll do a re-install today...( got nowt else to do ! ! ! ) 

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.. Learning more every day !

Mook
Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote:

Maybe something has corrupted on the Linux MInt 20.2 Mate.. so I `ll do a re-install today...( got nowt else to do ! ! ! ) 

Shocked You're not dealing with Windows. You do not, should not, need to re-install. I suspect what you experienced here was a pebcak.

shutter
Community Veteran

Grin

#

No... I don`t think so... its more of a pbuas

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@shutter 

Not sure I fully understand your problem, do you have a screen shot of the permission issue?

BTW ntfs is not supported by Apple products which may make sharing stuff difficult.

Regarding ssh and FTP it really is relatively easy

as a root

apt-get install openssh -server -y

The take a look at https://filezilla-project.org/index.php 

You can use FTP to transfer to a remote USB device.

Nice to have a work around though.

Dan

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@Mook wrote:

@shutter wrote:

Shocked You're not dealing with Windows. You do not, should not, need to re-install. I suspect what you experienced here was a pebcak.

Ah 

Yeah.....

But...  

it worked... ! 

done the NEW install... and 

I have just reformatted and made a "file system" using the + .on one of the "offending" USB`s....  . downloaded the Thunderbird folder from my main laptop... to install the same setup on the 11inch .. and it has gone through perfectly...

so everything seems to be working properly now.

after the full NEW install of Linux Mint 20.2.MATE  

Smiley  Cheesy  Smiley

Mook
Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote:

It wasn`t until I decided to try and format with NTFS that the problem "seems" to be resolved... !

According to this it was working before your re-install which I suspect was unnecessary.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

... so I `ll do a re-install today...( got nowt else to do ! ! ! ) 

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.. Learning more every day !

If you've got nowt else to do @shutter , why not try and get your head around basic networking?

I'm sure doing stuff over a LAN will be far more productive than wearing out USB sockets.

With Windows it's fairly simple and doesn't need any third party software installing, no doubt Linux will be similar (apart from maybe more typing involved).

shutter
Community Veteran

Doing the re-install, and it all working fine...backs up my feeling that it was a "system" fault, and not a fault of the USB`s...

Why ? because the usb`s worked perfectly with all permsisions granted on the ASUS ROG...

All usb`s reproduced the same fault, on trying to use the small laptop.. (not being able to copy and paste to ....) . Yes.. it did work all last week... ... but yesterday and today, it did not... UNTIL i re-installed Linux Mint 20 .. then all is well with the world... so...yes... it WAS necessary... if only to prove that the USB`s were not at fault.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN If I were "that" desperate for something to do... I could enroll in the Open University, and take a degree in higher mathematics... or the secret life of Frogspawn...  etc. etc. 

USB file tranfer suits me fine... ( and is easy and straightforward for an old git like me to understand) .

IF... and WHEN, ... I NEED to find out about networking.. then I will probably do so..  but i`m not going to tax my brain unless I have to.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

IF... and WHEN, ... I NEED to find out about networking.. then I will probably do so..  but i`m not going to tax my brain unless I have to.

Fair enough @shutter , but if and when that time ever comes you'll probably kick yourself for not doing it before when you realise how useful it is.  Wink Roll_eyes

Have you got a smart TV by any chance?  Probably not, but if so, there's one perfect use for having a LAN set up.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yes.... got THREE smart t.v.`s... and we are smart enough to have (*so-called) Free tv ... with Freeview... not aligned with or using the need to pay for it to come down the telephone wires/cable.... therefore we are not at the mercy of an ISP when their expensive system "goes down"... we can still watch tv. ! ! .. even if we can`t get on line...  

We don`t NEED all the hundreds of films, or other channels, that we would hardly spend any time watching.. there are not enough hours in a day to do that... so you could say "I`m smarter thant the average bear" in that respect... not wasting money on unecessary channels.

* not totally FREE due to the BBC DEMANDING a TAX on viewing . (however,...being over 75 and in receipt of necessary benefits..... we do not pay for a tv licence !  ----- now that`s  SMART !    Cheesy  )

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

@RobPN  Yes.... got THREE smart t.v.`s...

.. so you could say "I`m smarter thant the average bear" in that respect... not wasting money on unecessary channels.

Hmm...

Not quite what I was getting at @shutter .

If you do have smart TVs, have you actually bothered to connect them to your router?  Undecided

I was going to suggest that just one use of networking would be the ability to stream all those downloaded/edited music videos you frequently mention, which are stored on your phone/laptops, to your TV(s).

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Never seen any point in doing that....... Missus watches her favourite tv progs... I`m on my laptop, most of the day... watch my own progs on my own telly above the laptop.. . and use `phones for that... likewise, I use `phones for my music vids...and chatting in morse to people around the world for free....( Can "multi-task"  watching tv and chatting in morse at same time ! ! !)  ( use subtitles on the telly anyway ! )

We do "join forces" from time to time, when there are "compatible programs" that we both like to watch at the same time... 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try installing minidlna, then you can stream saved video files, such as mp4 files to the TV.

It runs in the background.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."