cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with networked computers since getting plusnet fibre

LSK

Problem with networked computers since getting plusnet fibre

Hi

We've got several computers networked via a switch, but since signing up to plusnet none of the computers can talk to each other. You can see them all on the network and they can all access the internet, but no communication between them. Anyone got any suggestions how to fix this?

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Problem with networked computers since getting plusnet fibre

Have you checked the firewall settings on the affected computers ?

It's possible that the plusnet router uses a different lan subnet ( 192.168.1.x ) to your router and that the firewalls need to set the new subnet as trusted

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@LSK 

This sounds like the computers on your network have not picked up the new address from the Plusnet router.

Power down all computers and switch

Power up switch then the computers.

Still not working, repeat but connect the computers to the sockets 1-4 on the rear of the Plusnet router.

Working? then if you need to add more computers then use the switch.

What is the switch model? Are all the lights on as expected?

You can see any devices by logging into the Plusnet router.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@LSK 

You say the pc are connecting to the internet but they can no longer see each other. Assuming these are running Windows OS it is quite likely they have determined you are connecting to a new network and they have set everything automatically to be connected to a public network and not private. You can confirm this in network settings.

Good luck

Dan

LSK

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply.

I'd already checked this. You are right, this was the case, but I changed them all to Private and made sure Network discovery and file and printer sharing were on, but this didn't work.

Laura

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This sounds like the computers on your network have not picked up the new address from the Plusnet router.

If they can access the internet, then they must have picked up a new address and default gateway from the router via DHCP.

I'd say this is still a Windows firewall problem of some sort. However I'm mainly a Linux man myself so I'm no windows firewall expert...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Tech Help.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LSK

"This sounds like the computers on your network have not picked up the new address from the Plusnet router.

Power down all computers and switch

Power up switch then the computers."

I did this and now can't see all the computers on the network, different ones show on different computers. ie, 1 & 2 can see each other 3&4 can see each other.

Does this change your thinking?

Going to try plugging direct in to the router but this requires a bit of juggling around to get the ethernet cables over to it.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@LSK 

Not really, unless you have hardcoded ip addresses etc into your computers.

A. Try one computer at a time into the Plusnet hub, ensuring the computer's network settings are set to DHCP and not fixed(ie static).

B. If that fails, set the computer address to 192.168.1.100 for example, mask 255.255.255.0, dns to the same as the router (see on router, I believe it is 192.168.1.254, see here

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

After A or B

Log into router, look at the devices attached, you should see the one you are using.

Plug another computer in, with its network set to DHCP, see if it appears (refresh page)

Ensure the lights on the Plusnet router do light on the Lan sockets.

It would really help if we knew what computers (windows/mac's/linux etc) and the switch model.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are using the basic Plusnet router, I don't think its possible to associate MAC addresses with DHCP TCP/IP allocated addresses.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."