Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with '4k Video Downloader'

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Problem with '4k Video Downloader'

@shutter  & @jab1 

I've just tried (before I saw jab1's post) what shutter suggested, and the results agree with jab1. Could it be Microsoft Security Essential? As far as I know though, MSE is part of the Win 7 install, so if I got rid of it (how?), how would I get it back?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@penneck I doubt it is MSE, otherwise you would never have been able to run it. I assume you don't run any other A/V?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck 

I'm also running Win7 with MSE and as I can download the file you're having problems with I'd tend to agree with @jab1 that MSE isn't the cause.

Although if you want to satisfy yourself that is the case, rather than uninstalling it you could open MSE, Settings tab, and add to the 'Excluded files and locations' and/or 'Excluded file types'.

You could even disable 'Real-time protection' temporarily, but don't forget to re-enable it!

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have Spybot S&D too. I don't think there is any other a/v

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penneck   and other interested parties ! .

OK... so you have eliminated some things... but it is strange that it only seems to be happening to you.

Have you contacted 4K download site.... they are usually very quick to respond... ( although you must allow for the time difference, as I think they are in California ! ) .

You can explain what has happened..... what you have done, to eliminate stuff locally,... and that others you know here, on the same version have no problems... 

hope you find the solution soon

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Yes I'll try that.

My thanks to the three of you for trying to help.

Take care

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck   Open 4kDownloader..... click on Help...... then Support......  and you get a pro-forma email, with the relevant version of 4k already inserted..... tell your story and see what happens.

cheers

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@shutter , @RobPN  & @jab1 

Re- the 4k Video problem - an update which might make you chuckle - a few days ago, I installed a garmin update on my pc. Then I not only had the problem with 4k Video Downloader, I started having a problem with a garmin file (express.exe) which apparently was still running when I tried to shutdown the pc so tried to prevent shutdown. I had that problem back in February, and while there is a simple way to avoid it, the next two garmin updates actually solved that, but the latest update seemed to bring it back. I contacted both 4k Video and garmin about these problems (I didn't tell them about each other because I hadn't found a possible link at that time), and both suggested uninstalling and reinstalling. I uninstalled both then reinstalled 4k Video. This time the icon appeared correctly. I then reinstalled garmin. So far, the garmin problem seems to have gone, but it is early days so maybe not. However, the 4k Video downloading problem is still there but is only on some videos, not all. I've reported that back to 4k Video and wait to see what they suggest. I haven't told garmin yet because, as I have already stated, early days.

Does this mean that garmin updates may be not only installing badly but may also be interferring with other programs? Interesting!

Bye

shutter
Community Veteran

;Hmm  yeah... does look like Garmin Express is the culprit... would never have guessed that...

as a point of interest... I have a Garmin satnav...but cannot get Garmin Express to work on my Linux Mint 20 set up (even with WINE for windows progs.

edit ... just found an instructable on how to get Garmin Express working on Linux !

https://christitus.com/garmin-express-linux/