Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer colour difference from computer screen

FIXED
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Printer colour difference from computer screen

Is it possible to try a different printer driver or check for maybe an updated one?

Or could it be a dodgy printer cartridge?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Mook The printer is "refurbished" from a reliable source on ebay... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/technologyspares?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Came in a bit of a tatty original box, but the machine itself is in "as new" condition.

I have done a print nozzle alignment check, and it is good...   ( as expected from a "new" refurbished printer ).

Don`t think it is cartridge problem... as they came out of my previous printer ( canon mg6851 - the reason I bought this one, as I have a stock of cartridges ! ! ) .

Don`t have the manual... will have to download it, and check it out.......

Is there a way to disable the printer in LINUX MINT 20.2  and re-install it using the Windows driver download, via WINE ?  and running it through WINE ?     ( i.e. get LINUX Mint to "ignore" the printer, when it is switched on/connected)

I have a feeling that the CUPS driver is not really "up to it".. or doing the job... as there are very limited options when trying to set the type of paper etc, on the "printer properties" window, using the basic Linux printer driver.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook  Yeah.. I have downoloaded and installed that driver.. ( and the scanner driver - which does work ).  but the printer driver seems to rely on CUPS and does not give the options that the windows driver/software does, when trying to set up the printer - paper type - quality etc.. only option is  "Paper Size".. and then you print it...  ! .

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Nothing I can do to help, sorry. The printer driver is one of the foibles of running Linux. If you think that's bad try running macOS and getting anywhere near the level of support Linux has.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

At one time you could download printer test cards, these were generic cards and available free, these cards covered a whole range of colours and shades so you could compare what you saw on screen to what your printer was printing out.

That would be my starting point, as others have mentioned the printer needs to be calibrated.

I could be wrong but to me it appears there is a colour cast on the picture, could of course be from the desk top lamp or other light source, I assume there are no type of filters on the camera.

It’s a complex area it took me some time to get my canon printer to print what I was actually seeing on the screen.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

If all else fails you might want to give Qimage one a go.

You can get a 14 day trial period works on Windows and Mac, no idea about Linux.

www.Binartem.com

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles I could be wrong but to me it appears there is a colour cast on the picture, could of course be from the desk top lamp or other light source, I assume there are no type of filters on the camera.

It`s very difficult to show the differences via photographing them, as, often, the ambient light is taken in on the camera lens, and this actually distorts the colours/shading. 

so I dismiss anything that is said about the room lighting, affecting how I view the printed copy compared to the photograph, and this is best explained by the last series, where the actual key has a light wood base ( I think its Elm, or Sycamore,) which is clear in the original photograph, but shows up on the printed version as mahogany or light oak colour.  add into that, the discolourations on the aluminium supports and the rear brass parts.and general "darker" appearance over the whole pic.

These differences are nothing to do with the room lighting.

@Mook  I can`t find anything in the manual about calibrating the printer....

Mook
Seasoned Champion

OK @shutter I'm out of ideas, sorry.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mook   OK>.. thanks for trying to help...  I`ll keep on messing about... I think I had a similar problem with my other printer... but can`t remember how I fixed it... ! ... I vaguely remember uninstalling the cups and installed  a  hp printer driver... so will mess with stuff like that.

cheers

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

shutter
Community Veteran

@RichardB OK... thanks for that... will give it a go tomorrow.... 

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Even if you calibrate, it isn't going to work well:-

A screen gets its colour from emitted light whilst a print works by reflected light.

It's going to be even harder if you are trying to match a CMYK printer against a RGB screen.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

Yeah @VileReynard  I know.. .... I have solved the problem, anyway... ! ..

Packed it all up. and got a free returns label from Ebay....  so it will be taken to the delivery office for despatch on Monday.

here is the way I solved the problem........

bought one of these ....   https://www.epson.co.uk/viewcon/corporatesite/site/146/products/mainunits/overview/32270

shutter
Community Veteran

UPDATE! .

The new printer arrived yesterday by UPS.. and what a difference... Print quality of text is excellent...and the photo printed out as the same colour ranges on the laptop screen... 

had a problem with the scanner, cos the software disk  supplied was for Windows and MAC.. ( me using Linux Mint ! ! ) .. however.. was able to use the Scanner driver software for Windows, cos I am running WINE which means I can run "most" windows type software... 

In some respects, it`s a good thing that the Auto Setup for the printer would not run on WINE.. because it means that I do not have all the EPSON bloatware loaded up...

All is calm and peaceful once again !..

Have a nice day Y`all .  Smiley