cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet and Plex

Lexin

Plusnet and Plex

I use the media server Plex, and I'm having what seems like an unsolvable problem.

Since the most recent update to Plex, I cannot enable 'remote access' for more than a few seconds.

I've tried setting up a fixed port forward using the modem, but that didn't work. I tried fixing the IP address both in Windows and with the modem, but that didn't work because Windows won't let me - the internet connection just dies if I try that. 

Without remote access Plex won't connect to  my Playstation 4, which is mostly how I watch soft copy videos. 

Can anyone help? Please keep explanations very simple - I am a bear of very little brain and need step by step instructions.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet and Plex

You can fix the MAC address of the media server in your router (forget about Windows) in such a way that DHCP (the IP address allocator in the router) will always gives the media server the same IP address of your choice.

Every ethernet card or wifi card is supplied with a unique physical MAC address - so go into advanced DHCP configuration and you should see a list of current MAC address - IP address pairs. Somewhere, there should be a way of reserving MAC addresses with IP addresses.

All depends on your router...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Lexin

Re: Plusnet and Plex

It turned out to be an issue with my firewall. Something in the firewall settings was ticked when it shouldn't have been. Unticking it resolved the issue.

This time.