cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet blocking e-mail again

Batphone
Rising Star

PlusNet blocking e-mail again

It looks like PlusNet are blocking my e-mail from specific domains again. Last time this happened it mysteriously started working again after a few days. Today it seems that Plusnet are blocking e-mail from Github and my Github account has been blocked pending e-mail verification because the Github server can't send me an e-mail.

I can't find the members site where I can log into my accout, much less any kind of useful help and support on the website. Finding customer support seems to be getting more and more difficult and obscure as time goes on. It seems I can still find webmail.plus.net but only if I enter the URL directly. My browser is displaying a security risk warning for the www.plus.com site. This is a very poor state of affairs from PlusNet.

Does anyone know how I can get the e-mail address unblocked?

Is there anyone at PlusNet that can resolve this problem? Why is PlusNet blocking ANY of my e-mail at all?

15 REPLIES 15
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: PlusNet blocking e-mail again

Probably a bit more information may be needed, would you be able to get a copy of the bounce back from Github when they try to send you an email? I've gone back on your recent posts and I can't see where you've posted about this problem before although I appreciate it may have been through another support channel i.e. ticket or phone, how did this get resolved the last time?

Have you also tried to whitelist the Github email address by going to Manage My Mail at https://www.plus.net/email? It's worth noting that our website is https://www.plus.net, you'd need to make sure you include the s in the http and it's .net rather than .com Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Batphone
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply.

A copy of a bounce-back from Github is probably unlikely especially while my account is suspended due to this issue. I am in the process of trying to resolve that with them.

I raised the issue via phone last time. There were two domains that were blocked from sending e-mail to me and a ticket was logged with the details. It went to second line support but the problem mysteriously went away on its own. They reckoned they could see no problem and after that I could receive e-mail from those domains. I have followed your suggestion and whitelisted the address so hopefully this will help.

Thanks for the direct link to Manage My E-mail, but how do I get to my account login and webmail now without direct links from the main website? The links that were at the top right of the page to webmail and account login have been gone for some time and the website just takes one around in circles. Its become absolutely awful and confusing, almost like its deliberately trying to steer one away from seeking support.....

BTW, I will bear in mind that the site ends with ...plus.net. When I first signed up it used to be .com but the services like webmail were on .net. It perhaps changes some time ago without me noticing....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To find your account you'd click on My account at the top of https://www.plus.net and then click on Broadband, phone & TV in the drop down menu. You'd login with your username, if you've forgotten it you'll find it on any email we'd send you and for your password you'd be able to reset this by clicking on Forgotten your password below the Login button.

Our phone number 0800 432 0200 is found by going through the Contact Us menu at the top right, both the number and our website ending in plus.net haven't changed in the 5 years since I've started working here, although I'm unsure how far back you'd be referring to.

To access webmail, there doesn't appear to be a link from the main site but once you've logged into your account as above, you should see where it says Email then a Find out more button below it which takes you to webmail.

Regarding customer support we're happy to help via our community forums, Facebook and Twitter as well as phoning us.

We welcome feedback on the usability though if you have anything specific? Smiley

Moving on to your email issue I can raise this to second line support although we refer to them as NetOps nowadays for this type of issue, but let's see if the whitelist resolves the issue. If it doesn't then once your Github account is unsuspended, can you PM me the email address they're sending from, your email address they're sending to and a copy of the bounce back?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Batphone
Rising Star

Looks like I was looking in the wrong place. I could see only a 'Business Boradband' link in the top tight and completely missing the very obvious option in the menu bar! Doh!

Thanks also for the hint to the e-mail link within the account page.

I will be happy to PM you the e-mail address they are sending from once I have it. I made an assumption as to which one I think it is, but there are several possibilities.

Is there any reason why I can't just use the option to disable spam filtering? I will try the whitelist, but so far I have only one spam mail in the spam folder.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Batphone 

No problem, the site has undergone a refresh within the past few years so I appreciate things may not be where they used to be if you've not visited in a while.

You could try disabling spam filtering which should hopefully resolve this if their emails are being rejected as spam.

Thanks for the private message, we can't do much with the e-mail address without a bounce-back etc, but hopefully whitelisting and/or disabling the spam filter sorts this out for you. Thumbs_Up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Batphone
Rising Star

The problem is still happening despite the whitelisting and my account has been suspended and I have been asked to verify my e-mail address 3 times today so far. I can unlock it by verifying my e-mail address, but no one from Githgub has replied to my request regarding the issue. Until they do, I am none the wiser so I am patiently waiting. I don't suppose there is any way to tell from within account management which addresses are being blocked by the spam filter? I have only one e-mail in the spam folder which is unrelated to github.com.

EDIT: got blocked again while typing this - so make that four times today!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If we're blocking their emails from being delivered to you due to spam they'd normally just fall into the junk mail folder rather than fail to be delivered. I think we need to first identify why you aren't receiving the emails, as it may be down to something else. Seeing the bounce-back Github receive would be immensely helpful. Do they have a phone number you can call for support?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Batphone
Rising Star

Yes, I did wonder about that. Unfortunately there seems to be no phone number. Maybe that option is reserved for enterprise support, but as an ordinary user it seems that I can only contact them via a web form. I have an e-mail reply stating that a ticket has been open, but no indication of a contact timescale other than "as quickly as possible" so no real idea when they are likely to get back to me. Maybe after the weekend? I will update this thread when I get further information.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah yeah I'd probably give it a few working days especially if you've only just raised the ticket as their support team may not work weekends or may be busier then. Obviously I'm speculating! Let me know how it goes. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Batphone
Rising Star

I have just received some information from GitHub which I have forwarded to you by PM.

Can you advise why these may have started getting blocked recently? I have, in the meantime added the address mentioned (noreply@github.com) to my whitelist.

Batphone
Rising Star

I have received a reply from Github and have forwarded you the details. Can you advice why their address has recently started getting blocked? It seems even positing that address in this forum to make others aware of it has resulted in my post getting removed as spam!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It'd be difficult to advise without more information to be honest, are you able to PM me their reply and the bounce-back please? With regards to your post being marked as spam this would be unrelated as it's entirely a different system, I've asked our forum mods if they can check the spam filter and release the post.

[edit]

I can see you've already PM'd me, sorry I assumed you'd just added it to your reply that was caught by the spam filter. I'll take a look at the PM and message you back soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Post released from spam filter.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Batphone
Rising Star

dvorak, thanks for releasing the post.

Gandalf, yes, I forwared to you by PM. Thanks for looking into it. Will be interested to know the reason as others who may have registered on Github using a Plusnet address may run into the same problem.