cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Hub One & Roku HD Connection Problem

subtle

PlusNet Hub One & Roku HD Connection Problem

Hi everyone. Brand new Hub One out of the box, up and running. But for some reason my Roku HD, which worked fine with my Sky ADSL, is now behaving like it's on dialup... I can get 2 seconds out of it before it buffers on iPlayer, pages with images take ages to load, if at all. 

According to the Roku itself, the connection to the network is "excellent".

My MacBook Pro and phone are all on the wifi with no problems. Speed test on my laptop shows I'm getting 35Mbps download.  Any idea why the Roku isn't working in the same way?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: PlusNet Hub One & Roku HD Connection Problem

Too far away from the Hub?

subtle

Thanks Reed. It's about 6 metres away, with clear line of sight. Wifi Explorer tells me there's 80 / 90% signal in that spot, and the Roku itself says there's an excellent connection... so I think placement is fine.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What kind of wireless protocol is the Roku using?

802.11 B/G/N?

You should (hopefully) be able to tell from a router admin login.

Failing all else, get yourself a piece of ethernet cable & make a direct connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So a couple of things that might help:

Separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi channels. and add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSID - that way you will know which service the Roku can see, Some devices get confused and can't cope with both.

Rather than use WiFi, consider using Home Plugs between your router and somewhere near the TV, and then connect a small LAN switch, Netgear do a neat one, and then you can connect your TV/Sat Box/Roku/Blu Ray via Ethernet which should be faster and more reliable.

herojan
Grafter

Definitely separate the wifi between the 2.5 and 5Ghz as suggested.

I have numerous NowTv boxes, which are roku based, and they work fine, and I have done the above wrt my wifi on my Hub One.

subtle

Split the two networks, which can't hurt. But in the end it was giving the Roku box a permanent IP address. Turned out that my Brother laser printer was also having a problem recognising a print job when it was in sleep mode.... IP address solved that too. 

Thanks for all your help.