cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line

FIXED
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Posts: 10,921
Thanks: 214
Fixes: 16
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Phone line

Some article in the paper was indicating that phone lines will be discontinued in 2025 but landline will remain for internet connection, calls then being made via a smart phone or some sort of adaptor to connect to the modem for old type of phones.

Assuming I have understood this correctly my question is this, how would you record phone calls when out like you do on the  old type of ansaphone 

We are born into history and history is born into us.
19 REPLIES 19
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 289
Thanks: 12
Fixes: 6
Registered: ‎11-04-2021

Re: Phone line

Link to the article or it didn't happen, and I for one sincerely hope it doesn't.

I have a BT OR Engineer due in the next 18 minutes due to a bad line on the PN landline, which has been ongoing problem since towards the end of last year when I first signed up, I half wish I'd stayed with Talk Talk but I couldn't talk to their Indian call centre due to having a strong Yorkshire accent which they didn't understand.

 

Do you see? Cheesy
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Posts: 7,042
Thanks: 2,651
Fixes: 215
Registered: ‎30-06-2016

Re: Phone line

@gleneagles 

As you say, you can have an adapter to which you can attach current analogue phones. This will include current phones with a built in ansaphone.

So in essence nothing changes except that your current phone base unit is connected to a converter, which connects to your hub rather than the current arrangement where the base unit is connected to the phone socket.

RobPN
Hero
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 348
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Phone line


@gleneagles wrote:

 

Assuming I have understood this correctly my question is this, how would you record phone calls when out like you do on the  old type of ansaphone 


@gleneagles 

Further to Baldrick1 s reply above, if you're using an analogue output from an ATA (or router with built-in VoIP) to old analogue phones, you could plug in an old-style answering machine, or if using a fully digital device such as a Gigaset N300A it would have built-in digital answering machine(s).

Some VoIP services such as Sipgate have their own voicemail, much like BTs.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 9,950
Thanks: 2,591
Fixes: 205
Registered: ‎30-07-2007

Re: Phone line

Some VoIP services such as Sipgate have their own voicemail

Yes, my Sipgate service records the message and then sends me an email with a link to the message in mp3 format. I can also dial the voicemail access numebr from my voip phone to access it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Hero
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 348
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Phone line


@MisterW wrote:

 

Yes, my Sipgate service records the message and then sends me an email with a link to the message in mp3 format. ...


Oh yes, I forgot about that extra little feature @MisterW , but although I haven't got voicemail enabled on my main Sipgate number, ISTR that the mp3 is actually received with the email as an attachment, BICBW.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Posts: 9,950
Thanks: 2,591
Fixes: 205
Registered: ‎30-07-2007

Re: Phone line

Fix

ISTR that the mp3 is actually received with the email as an attachment, BICBW.

@RobPN  just checked and you are not wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 289
Thanks: 12
Fixes: 6
Registered: ‎11-04-2021

Re: Phone line

I appear to have a faulty handset, which probably explains the problems with my PN line Sad

 

Do you see? Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran
Posts: 21,308
Thanks: 779
Fixes: 55
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Phone line


@gleneagles wrote:

Some article in the paper was indicating that phone lines will be discontinued in 2025 but landline will remain for internet connection, calls then being made via a smart phone or some sort of adaptor to connect to the modem for old type of phones.

Assuming I have understood this correctly my question is this, how would you record phone calls when out like you do on the  old type of ansaphone 


 

 

My question is this.....  How will people who know my landline number be able to contact me, if they don`t know my mobile number....

Second question ... If it needs some kind of new "terminal" equipment, in the home, on the end of the land line,  to redirect calls to your mobile number, who is going to pay for it ?

Third question.... who is going to be responsible for fitting it and maintaining it

Longliner
Pro
Posts: 270
Thanks: 86
Fixes: 5
Registered: ‎22-10-2014

Re: Phone line

@MrAllen2021 

Yes, we see and we're not surprised. Please apologise for your scurrilous attacks on Plusnet call centre staff who, as was explained to you several times, have no control over Openreach punctuality, nor have other ISPs.

I appeal to Plusnet to release this person from his/her contract without charge and let him/her return to TalkTalk. This is a match made in heaven.

RobPN
Hero
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 348
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Phone line


@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I appear to have a faulty handset, which probably explains the problems with my PN line Sad

 


@MrAllen2021 

So by rights you would be liable for a 'no fault found, end user equipment faulty' charge of £65 or whatever it is.  

Luckily for you PN have recently announced that they will no longer pass this on.  Roll_eyes

RobPN
Hero
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 348
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Phone line


@shutter wrote:


 

My question is this.....  How will people who know my landline number be able to contact me, if they don`t know my mobile number....




@shutter 

They would call your landline number?

They would only need to know your mobile number if you wanted them to contact you that way.

 

 


Second question ... If it needs some kind of new "terminal" equipment, in the home, on the end of the land line,  to redirect calls to your mobile number, who is going to pay for it ?


 

I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect the telco would provide any necessary equipment needed due to their changes, and fitting would most likely be plug and play.

It wouldn't be necessary for calls to your landline number to be redirected to your mobile unless you choose to do that for your own convenience, in which case it would depend on whether your calling plan included the cost of such calls, and if it didn't, you'd have to pay for them.

 

Third question.... who is going to be responsible for fitting it and maintaining it


 

 

Apart from any batteries possibly required for power backup, probably the telco but I don't really know for sure.

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Posts: 289
Thanks: 12
Fixes: 6
Registered: ‎11-04-2021

Re: Phone line

@Longliner I've been looking on the RNID website this afternoon at hearing aid compatible cordless handsets, but they are prohibitably expensive.

All I want is a handset that actually works, fortunately we have one with big buttons which Dad says he'll set up when we go back to the Flat after tea.

 

Do you see? Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran
Posts: 21,308
Thanks: 779
Fixes: 55
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Phone line

@RobPN wrote:

@shutter wrote:

 

My question is this.....  How will people who know my landline number be able to contact me, if they don`t know my mobile number....

@shutter 

They would call your landline number?

They would only need to know your mobile number if you wanted them to contact you that way.

 

Obviously, I have mis-worded the question, or you have mis-understood it... So, I am going to assume the latter is the case... Obviously..

Sorry if that offends you........

 

 

 

You said.....

 

They would only need to know your mobile number if you wanted them to contact you that way.

 

WRONG... they would need to know my mobile number if THEY wanted to contact me....

 

If the landline system for calls is discontinued, then people who have my landline number will not be able to contact me... ( e.g. those long standing "Log-in" prove who you are questionaires, from years ago, are still valid.)

 

.. Who remembers all those places you left your landline number to be able to contact them, and say... Ayup... my mobile number is....

RobPN
Hero
Posts: 4,109
Thanks: 348
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎17-05-2013

Re: Phone line


@shutter wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

@shutter wrote:

 

My question is this.....  How will people who know my landline number be able to contact me, if they don`t know my mobile number....

@shutter 

They would call your landline number?

They would only need to know your mobile number if you wanted them to contact you that way.

 

Obviously, I have mis-worded the question, or you have mis-understood it... So, I am going to assume the latter is the case... Obviously..

Sorry if that offends you........


@shutter 

Well as I've correctly answered the question which you asked and not some question you meant to ask, then no, I've not misunderstood, and you've obviously got the wrong end of the stick.

In my book the phrase "Sorry if that offends you" is used after pointing out someones error(s), so as I'm trying to make allowances here, you'll be pleased to know that as it's not me who is mistaken, I'm not offended. Smiley

 

 

You said.....

 

They would only need to know your mobile number if you wanted them to contact you that way.

 

WRONG... they would need to know my mobile number if THEY wanted to contact me.....


Blimey, if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out !!!  Roll_eyes

 

 

 

If the landline system for calls is discontinued, then people who have my landline number will not be able to contact me...


It seems you've also misunderstood the basic concept of replacing 'landlines' with digital voice services such as VoIP.  Smiley