Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch Tuesday - Argh!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Patch Tuesday - Argh!

I just had this problem, and posted in Computers ..... as I thought it was the place.... however, I solved it by uninstalling ZA and then downloading and installing PCTOOLS firewall..... another FREE firewall...... and it works for me !.
Have a nice day  Wink Smiley Wink
Mav
Fixes: 515

A further Google search for failed updates brought up the following which worked:
Click Start -> Run, type cmd and click Ok
Type the following commands and press Enter after each command
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Once finished, attempt to run Windows Update again and your downloads should complete and install.

HTH others with similar issues Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

boondoxatron

Those of us who downloaded and installed today's Microsoft's update KB951748 (and are running ZoneAlarm) have found that this update makes ZoneAlarm block any access to the internet.
There are two fixes:
To get you back onto the net you can alter the ZoneAlarm settings. Open ZoneAlarm, go to Firewall, Main and reduce the Internet Zone Security to Medium. That will get you online.
A proper fix until Microsoft pull their collective finger out is as follows: Open 'Add or Remove Programs' in the Control Panel. Remember to check the box marked 'Show Updates'. Then scroll down the list until you see the MS Update KB951748.
Remove this and you can re-set your Internet Zone Security setting to maximum.
Then change your Microsoft Security update settings to 'Notify Before Update'. You should have it set to this as default anyway considering the problems that have been  associated with MS updates. If in doubt do a Google search before downloading and installing any MS updates.
You'll probably get another prompt from Microsoft asking you to re-install KB951748 but don't do it.
MS are apparently on the case but until a better security update is available beware!
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

There is a new version of ZA Basic I downloaded this morning that seems to have things back to normal.
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that.    I have the free Zone Alarm firewall so I would imagine that is the same as the Zone Alarm Basic referrred to on their website.
I may download it later today once I hear that it has worked sucessfully for a few more people.
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: coastergrotto
I have the free Zone Alarm firewall so I would imagine that is the same as the Zone Alarm Basic referrred to on their website.

Is anyone able to confirm this - I've got the free version as well?
Also do we just install the new version over the existing version and will it keep our existing settings?
I'm feeling a bit vervous about this given all the hassle it's caused so far  Undecided
Bob
coastergrotto
Grafter

That's my position too, Bob.    Fortunately I'm out all day today so, hopefully, by the time I return home, it will be resolved.
Originally I was going to wait for a Service Status Update from Plusnet on this one before doing anything.
Njal
Grafter

Quote from: the
There is a new version of ZA Basic I downloaded this morning that seems to have things back to normal.

The new version of ZA has worked here on 2 PCs. The update has re-installed itself and everything seems OK.
Fortunately the Windows 2003 Server machine here kept working so we were able to get on the internet to find out what the problem was.
Regards,
Neil
bobboulby
Grafter

I've found this on the ZoneAlarm forums:
You can safely install over the existing version.
This is actually the default behaviour for ALL ZA updates.

... and to avoid any problems just do to the following:

1. Uncheck 'load ZA at startup' on you current ZA (Overview --> preferences)
2. Reboot the system
3. Install the update (clean or upgrade)

I can't find any confirmation though that Basic is the same as the Free version.
I'm also out (at work) all day so will take a check point this evening before deciding what to do.
Bob
Njal
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby

I can't find any confirmation though that Basic is the same as the Free version.

It is the free version.
Regards,
Neil
petlew
Pro

Before seeing or knowing about any of this, I had only just few days ago downloaded and installed Zone Alarm on this computer (only one of the three PC's here) And I have to say; up till now I've had none of the problems experienced here. For safeties sake I've removed ZA for the time being, until ZA respond to the problem (they've not done so already have they?) Could the fact it was a new clean install of ZA rather than updated over some time, have had any bearing on my lack of problems perhaps?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

"Basic" is the same as "Free".
Download and run the file - it then gives you the option to reinstall or upgrade - I upgraded (the default).
Once done iIt needs a windows restart but as I said no ill-effects thereafter.
Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had the opposite problem!
Yesterday KB951748 wouldn't install after download. I have updated Zonealarm this morning but it still doesn't install!! Having read this thread I am glad it didn't as I would have lost connection  but am at a loss how to install it  now. There are issues with Zonealarm and Avast anti virus so I am thinking of changing one or the other. Any ideas
I thought it was due to KB951978 which also won't install. That appears to be related to my going from ie6 to ie7 last week when I had to reinstall xp pro and SR3.
I only use ie rarely (mainly on Microsoft site) as I prefer Firefox. Anybody got anyway round this without uninstalling ie7 and tying to go back to ie6 (if that is easily done)
Wuz

Mav
Fixes: 515

@ Wuz
Check my post at the top of this page - maybe that will help with getting it installed?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pawhe955
Grafter

Don't know if anyone noticed, but last night's CheckPoint "Press Release" included THREE "workarounds" (before they had the "new version" of ZA available) - the 3rd one being listed as "the most technical", but what it did was suggest that you assign your (Internet?) DNS servers into a ZoneAlarm "Trusted" Zone. This would then allow ZA to allow the new MS DNS client (installed by the MS patch) to use random UDP ports for it's DNS queries, which is the thing that ZoneAlarm was objecting to (and thereby seemingly cutting Internet access). Moving the Internet Zone level from "High" to "Medium" (one of the other workarounds) would have had the same effect as the above, for your DNS servers (and got things working), but at the expense of everything else on the Internet becoming more "trusted"...... (= BAD!!).
Anyway, the "New Version" of ZoneAlarm appears to simply check what DNS servers your system is using at the point of ZoneAlarm installation, and add these as separate entries in Zones, as Trusted - e.g. the same as the original workaround mentioned above. What I am wondering (and more specifically wondering if anyone out there can test quickly/easily) is whether, if you are running ZA on a laptop and move to a different LAN with a different IP range and different ISP (and thereby different Internet DNS servers), whether ZA automatically realises this, and adds the new/different (Internet, NOT local LAN IP addresses) DNS servers into it's "Trusted" Zone? 
I get the feeling that due to how quick Checkpoint got this new version out, and what it seems to do at installation, is that all they have done is implemented the workaround in the ZA install scripts - that might be o.k. for desktops whose DNS servers don't change, but could be an issue for laptops that are moved between LANs, and pick up different (Internet) DNS servers at different locations.
As I said, it's a theory, and maybe not many people will run into the problem (e.g. I guess most people use Desktops, and also most ISP/LAN routers will offer their LAN IP as the DNS server for Internet services with your LAN subnet already being "Trusted" in ZA, for local FileSharing, etc.), but for example, I use the 2 OpenDNS server IPs for my DNS, and so my laptop now has these assigned into a ZoneAlarm "Trusted" Zone - but the question is, will ZA automatically pick up changes to DNS servers if I go somewhere else....?Huh
Cheers,
P.