Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protecting in Windows 10 networking

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Password protecting in Windows 10 networking

We have a Windows 10 network linking 3 computers by ethernet; one is a laptop, and therefore sometimes it might use Wi-Fi to connect to the network.

We also have a lodger who of course uses our broadband, directly via an ethernet cable from the main house router.  It occurs to me that that he could theoretically access the files on our computers through the network.  So than I thought about password protecting the network.  Good idea, I thought, in principal.

So I was about to set up password protection through the Network and Sharing facility in Settings when I realised that of course I would need a password; it seems that would be the password used to start the computer which we have never needed to set up !!  We prefer not to have to use a password to start Windows because it is irritating, especially with all the passwords for nearly everything else one does these days.  So before I go any further, I have a few questions about this which I would be grateful if someone clever could answer !

1.  How do I set up a password for networking only, not for everyday access to emails and the internet etc. ?  We do not want to have to enter a password at home whenever we start up unless it cannot be avoided.  I hoped we may be able to set a password for using the network only, not for simple things like using the internet.  Is that possible ?

2. If we are able to bar the lodger from accessing our network because he would not have a password, could he still nevertheless use the broadband through the ethernet cable to access the main house router to which he is connected ? I do not want to stop him from doing that, as he is not a heavy user.  I just do not want him to be able to access our computers.

Any comments would be most appreciated, thanks.

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Password protecting in Windows 10 networking

@shermans 

A couple of other ways of solving this.

1. Buy a third party hub with a Guest Network option.

2. Get a Managed Ethernet switch and set it up so that the guest only has access to the internet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shermans
Pro

Thanks Baldrick1.

I actually have a Plusnet Hub One which someone gave me.  Does that by any chance have a 'Guest Network'  facility on it, do you know ?  I could easily swap it for the hub at the end of the ethernet cable which I am using as a Wi-Fi source in the lodger's room.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@shermans Sadly, the Hub1 does not have a Guest Network facility - you will need something a little more 'up-market' for that.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Not an expert on these things... but... if I remember correctly, whenever I installed a new copy of WIndows, there was the option  ( or even necessity ) to create a user password to "secure" the machine from other users.

There was, I think, an option to not have to input the password, even though you made one during the install procedure.

If the two "downstairs" machines have the same password, and the "lodger" would have his own password, using the "downstairs" password on the network security should (?) secure the network as the "lodger" would only think that .... if he were trying to access the downstairs network.... he would use his own "log in" password... and as that was not the same as downstairs. he would be kept out ? 

Is there some way to change the password on Windows 10 login page ? so both machines use the same password ? 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Win 10 does have an auto logon option enabled with a registry setting change,

easier to use sysinternal’s Autologon program.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

Not an expert on these things...

Confirmation

If the two "downstairs" machines have the same password, and the "lodger" would have his own password, using the "downstairs" password on the network security should (?) secure the network as the "lodger" would only think that .... if he were trying to access the downstairs network.... he would use his own "log in" password... and as that was not the same as downstairs. he would be kept out ? 

Roll_eyes

Best not to muddy the waters then @shutter ? Smiley

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@shutter Makes a valid point, if all machines were password protected then the lodger would see the whole network but wouldn't be able to access files on the other two computers.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet 

The OP did say that he didn't want to use passwords to log in to his computers, but your post #6 is noted.

Far better IMO if the guest can't even see the OPs computers on the network.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@RobPN Using passwords is going to be cheaper than replacing the hub and a lot cheaper than installing a managed switch, but not knowing the level of expertise the OP has then maybe better to go for a replacement hub with guest access.

Could you recommend which hub the OP should go for on that well known discount site and we'll help him set it up....

shermans
Pro

Many thanks to all of the answers above. 

I will set up an admin password on just one machine to start with, and hope I can opt out of having to use it every time I start the machine.  That should work and if so, then I will do the same for the other "downstairs" machine and see how it goes.  Eventually I might even try to add the password to the network itself.

I feel a bit guilty worrying about what is really trivia in the light of what has just happened in Ukraine today, but life must go on.  I am fearful that the Covid pandemic is about to pale into insignificance.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Champnet wrote:

Could you recommend which hub the OP should go for on that well known discount site and we'll help him set it up....

@Champnet 

Personally I've used DrayTek routers for many years so not in a position to recommend anything else.

I use VLANs to separate certain sections of my network and like the OP don't bother with Windows passwords, which is secure enough for my needs, although I guess if the lodger was a Russian 'sleeper' he would soon find his way around.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@shermans  Let us know how it goes…….

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

A user login password isn't going to protect the machine from a network based attack.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

From : https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/access-computers-on-network/ 

"Computers, regardless if they’re Macs or PCs, can all connect to the same network. Once two systems are on the same network, they can easily communicate with each other i.e., they can send and receive files from each other, and a user on one computer can access the files on the other computer over the network.

There are some conditions that apply; for one, the computer must allow files to be shared and for it to be accessible over a network. Second, the computer that is trying to access the other one must have the required credentials i.e., password, to access it."