cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental Control

ramblinjen

Parental Control

Have been trying to set times for my sons devices to switch off the internet. I have logged into hub manager selected devices etc...but when I apply this he gets logged off straight away,its as if the hub is ignoring the times I have set,any advice would be appreciated thanks

5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Parental Control

I suspect that any self-respecting child could easily find ways round your reliance on a gadget.

BTW He doesn't get "logged-off" anything - the effect is the same as cutting the wire to the internet; there is no controlled shutdown happening.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ramblinjen

This hasn't answered my query,logged off,internet switch off still restricts devices.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is it the case that applying your changes causes a soft reboot of your router?

Are connections remade after a few minutes during the allowable hours?

Still think an ounce of parental interest is worth a pound of router settings.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

ramblinjen, it is more than likely that the router is resetting itself to allow it to apply the rules you have just set and as a consequence he is / they are getting their connection(s) dropped. Chances are the rules you have applied will be enforced at the correct time but as has been mentioned it is a trivial task to circumvent these rules.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@ramblinjen

often when you change parental settings on routers you have to restart the router from the interface for the new rules to take effect

its possible that the interface isnt working correctly in which case you would need to contact the manufacturer for help if its a plusnet router then the help desk will be your best option for aid 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you