cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet burst

jonnycmac1888

Packet burst

Wondering if anyone can help me on here as I'm pretty much exhausted of ideas. I'm having constant packet burst whilst playing my ps5. Now ive had 2 engineers out and openreach twice and they cant find anything wrong with the internet. I've separated the frequencies as well didn't help. Bought a BT smart hub 2 and that didn't help. The only thing that resolves the issue is when I power cycle the internet, where i unplug it for about 20 minutes but even then that only helps it for a couple days and then the packet burst returns. 

17 REPLIES 17
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Packet burst

What are the frequencies you have detected  and separated ?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jonnycmac1888 

How does it perform when connected over an Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

What are the frequencies you have detected  and separated ?

Detecting? I suspect the OP is referring to separating the SSIDs of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands.

Edit:  typo

jonnycmac1888

Yeah you're correct.

jonnycmac1888

Its the same over Wifi or ethernet. I've tried new ethernets and even the powerline adaptors. I'm an electrician to trade so I've looked at all clear and obvious stuff.  

shutter
Community Veteran

I was enquiring, of the O.P.   as he did not state what frequencies....

The reason I enquired, was because it could be caused by a local Radio Ham, opeating on the 13cm or 6cm bands.  

This information, may be of use the O.P.

http://www.hflink.com/bandplans/UK_bandplan.pdf

Scroll down the pages to the relevant band plans

Also noted that  in this link  (which may refer to the U.S. and may not be applicable to the U.K ) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio

High-speed multimedia radio

The 2.4 GHz "Wi-Fi" band partially overlaps an amateur radio band, so commercial Wi-Fi hardware can be adapted and used by licensed amateur radio operators at higher power levels, although restrictions on amateur radio limit the appeal of using packet radio to connect to the internet. US FCC regulations do not allow amateur radio communications to be encrypted or private, in addition to other content restrictions.[10]

unquote

These links may also provide further information.

See also

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@shutter I regret to inform that the information you have provided is almost certainly totally irrelevant to the OP's post, who has already confirmed that that the frequencies referred to are the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi bands and probably not related to Amateur radio interference.

However i would be interested to know what a "Packet burst " is.🤔

shutter
Community Veteran

@RealAleMadrid 

Obviously.... you missed this bit then....

The 2.4 GHz "Wi-Fi" band partially overlaps an amateur radio band,

and you probably did not read any of the links provided...   since you ask question "what a packet burst is"..

However... this one should suffice....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@shutter  As usual you appear to be jumping to conclusions that fit in with your dubious theories.  I have discovered that  "packet burst"  is just lagging response on Video games which can be caused by many localised network effects, particularly but not exclusively pertaining to unreliable Wi-Fi connections, how you have decided that this is anything remotely associated with Packet Radio is beyond belief. Apart from the word "Packet"

The Op has said rebooting the router stops the problem for a day or two so have the Packet radio transmissions stopped during this period, I don't think so.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RealAleMadrid  On the contrary... I do not have any "dubious theories" as you put it.

I was pasing on information, that the 2.4GHZ wifi band was also part of the Amateur radio band.

Therefore.. it was/is possible that "packet radio" transmissions from a nearby radio ham "could" be the cause.

In your previous post... you said..

However i would be interested to know what a "Packet burst " is.🤔.... 

yet now you are accusing me of jumping to conclusions and dismissing the fact that Amatuer Radio could be the cause of the packet bursts. 

I did not say, anywhere, in any of my posts that it WAS or IS the cause.

And YES.   it could well be a possibility, that the radio ham was not transmitting during the period mentioned.... as it is not a continuous transmission mode.  it depends on when the operator decides to "go on air".. to pursue his hobby, communicating with other radio hams, using Packet Radio

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@shutter wrote:

@RealAleMadrid 

Obviously.... you missed this bit then....

The 2.4 GHz "Wi-Fi" band partially overlaps an amateur radio band,

@shutter Obviously you missed this bit then...

@jonnycmac1888 wrote:

Its the same over Wifi or ethernet.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
shutter
Community Veteran

Obviously,.... because the ethernet cable can be acting like a receiving antenna....if the transmitter is close enough or emitting enough power...

Perhaps you had forgotten that...

It may be called Wire Less.... but that only refers to there being no actual wire connecting the two locations... you still need an antenna at the transmitter,... and another at the receiving end for effective communicaion between the two locations.  ( any other wires within range of the transmitter, will also act as antenna`s )

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

Obviously,.... because the ethernet cable can be acting like a receiving antenna ...

Roll_eyes

When in a hole, it's best to stop digging @shutter Grin

@shutter wrote:

@RealAleMadrid  On the contrary... I do not have any "dubious theories" as you put it.

I still remember the time you (wrongly) pulled @RealAleMadrid up for something and using a dubious theory, suggested he'd consumed too many red wines ... it seems you missed the clue in his username.  Grin 

shutter
Community Veteran

Obviously.

I stand by what I have said... I am only responding to what other people question... Sorry if my knowledge is too much for you to absorb.

End of story.