cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openning Router Ports to Support HP wireless printer

raygardner

Openning Router Ports to Support HP wireless printer

Looking for assistance on enabling the following Ports to allow Wireless Printing from HP Photosmart Premium C309g-m printer:-
• UDP 137 In & Outbound
• UDP 139 Outbound
• UDP 161 Outbound
• UDP 427 In & Outbound
• TCP 9220 In & Outbound
• TCP 9290 Outbound
• TCP 9500 Outbound
I haveviewed the suggested site using the following link:-
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Technicolor/TG582n_Technicolor/HoverRace.htm
but have not downloaded the application as initial instructions do not appear straight forward. Could anybody assist as I have not undertaken this before and disappointingly PLUSNET Support will not assist.
Thanks in advance...Ray
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Openning Router Ports to Support HP wireless printer

Can you describe what you're trying to do?  If you just need to print from a PC to your printer then you don't need to open any ports.  This would only be necessary if you wanted to print from another PC on the Internet.
TORPC
Grafter

Have you turned on File and print sharing on you devices
As above
If you can please explain more about your setup and what you are looking to achieve, then we will have a better understanding to you assist accordingly Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If it is on an M$ pc, then try disabling your FIREWALL. Connect up the printer using the wizards and then re-enable the f/w. If it still has problems then you need to open ports on the local machine. As has been said UNLESS you are trying to print from a machine on the Internet you don't need to open any ports on the router.
raygardner

Guys,
many thanks for the responses, I have since Googled the request and obtained more specific detail then that provided by PlusNet which have now successfully enabled me to open the necessary Ports.
The HP Printer is now working wirelessly.
Thanks again...appreciated.
Ray
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have a Photosmart Premium C309g-m (excellent printer/scanner by the way) and installed the software without issue and without the need to disable any firewall, etc.
Wireless setup was simple using the touch screen.
Unless, as mentioned above, you are attempting to print from elsewhere portforwarding is not necessary.
What I do suggest, however, is installing the latest driver and software from here and not from the supplied CD.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Can you tell us the steps you took that worked for that could also help others Smiley
raygardner

Hm. interesting response from Mav and others questioning  the need to open ports on my  Broadband router. This approach was  recommended by HP support, who took over my desktop and were able to print wirelessly direct from the Laptop, using some HP tool, but unable to print wirelessly via my B/B router.
TORPC ....FYI, the link sent by PlusNet, was vague on the port information to be submitted. The  Google'd  information was clearer, you just need to select  the port type, TCP, DCP, from a dropdown menu, and I then entered each port individually, rather then use the Port range.
Hope this is useful.  Now to try and get the IPAD printing wirelessly!
Ray
TORPC
Grafter

can you provide the links you used please
raygardner

TORPC
Grafter

Are you planning to use your printer from outside your Network IE: from work, Family or friend address ?Huh
raygardner

TORPC,
only using the Printer in my home.
Ray
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Hairy
As has been said UNLESS you are trying to print from a machine on the Internet you don't need to open any ports on the router.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Exactly - the only reason you'd need to open ports is to access your internal network externally (i.e. from an outside internet connection).
(I do for remote desktop to my home PC).
You don't need to do this for internal traffic, i.e. printing from a PC (within your network) to your printer (within your network).
Not had to rely on HP support thankfully, didn't realise they were that bad.
TimeRider
Grafter

I'd be a bit concerned if tech support were telling me I needed to open ports to the outside world, and in this instance I'd be stocking up on paper and ink - quite a lot of printing could happen 😛
Seriously though, the standard of 'tech support' in this day and age is... yeah.. I'll not go there.
Hopefully someone on this thread will have the same printer, so can talk you through the printers screen/button setup to connect it to your wireless network. You definitely shouldn't need to open ports however.
Steve