Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd router issue with Sky/Netflix

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Odd router issue with Sky/Netflix

I wonder if anyone was able to shed any light on the cause of this odd issue. I changed over my Hub1, for a TP Link Archer AR600 V1 (Second hand off E-Bay), as the hub1 Wi-Fi was rather weak at both ends of the house.

It setup fine(I did initial setup off DSL), and set DNS servers to Google DNS, and set Wireless SSIDs to be the same as the PlusNet ones, for ease of transfer.

It booted up fine, and connected to the internet fine with syncs as expected (55/10). Only issue was all devices on the 5Ghz band didn't reconnect, they recognised the network, but needed the password putting back in before they would work. Devices on 2.4Ghz were fine, as were ethernet connected devices.

A few hours later started to see some odd issues, with the Sky boxes. Netflix started to refuse to load from the SkyQ mini box, as did amazon prime, but Disney + and other apps were fine. The Netflix app on the Main Q box, was very sluggish, but all other apps loaded fine. Netflix app on my Main TV worked OK, as did the app on a Roku Box. I assumed it was the boxes so rebooted them, same issues, but Netflix would load eventually. Did a network check via the Netflix app, and on both sky boxes it couldn't find Netflix server1, but once it had loaded it did work, and connection speed was 48Mbps.

Today, the Netflix app totally failed on the Minibox, just got a spinning circle, and occ an error that the box could not connect to netflix. Again server1 appeared to be the issue, as the other servers got a green tick. Fine on all other devices but the Sky main box, which was now doing the same, but did occasionally connect. I did a full network reset of both sky boxes, which brought the app on the main box back for a few mins, but nothing on the mini still.

Just to note, all sky downloads worked fine during this (On demand etc), and sky boxes were reporting Network connections fine.

During this my wireless printer also refused to connect to some devices, but not others!!  I did notice that the Sky boxes and Router were transmitting on the same 5ghz channel, so I changed this on the router, still the same issues.

I reverted back to the Hub1, restated all devices one at a time, and all appears fine again.

Setup for Sky is:-  Main box connected via Ethernet to Router. Mini box uses the Sky 5Ghz mesh network to connect. Main TV uses Ethernet to connect to router. Both TV and Main Sky box connected with Cat6 cable. (TV connected to Mini box is not smart)

My question is, can anyone fathom why the TP Link causes these issues. I'm stumped. All working now, but would prefer better Wi-Fi to some parts of the house but not at the expense of these issues.

Thanks in advance

Edit... just of note, the IP addressing of both routers was in the same range of 192.168.1.x  Only difference from hub1, was I set different DNS servers, but I did reset these back to using the routers gateway, but still didn't fix things.

2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Odd router issue with Sky/Netflix

Wifi can be flakey.

Use a mobile "app" to check signal strength near the badly behaving boxes - 2.4 & 5GHz

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Odd router issue with Sky/Netflix

Hi. Signal strength all over house was fine. I used a WiFi analyser. Since putting the hub1 back it's all been fine.
I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the issues, as the TP link router should have been better than the hubq, but it really didn't get along with the sky boxes