Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now An Ubuntu User!!

deekay
Grafter

Re: Now An Ubuntu User!!

P.S.
During the next couple of days, I'll download and try them with the new Karmic beta version, and also with Mint.
I like Mint, except for the slab menu. That's why I changed to Ubuntu!
Keith
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hey up hijack away everyone as im done with this thread now ;D,yeah i cant use the video chat with pidgin either but im not greatly fussed about that.still better than xp by miles in my opinion Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
deekay
Grafter

Sorry, steve74.
I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Keith
Steve
Seasoned Pro

No need to apologise as the title is "now an ubuntu user" you can put almost anything in here lol.. Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

OK - for MSN, try loading the aMSN package. Chat works; don't know about video.
My kids use it when I'm not looking.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

deekay
Grafter

@Axisofevil
I have reinstalled Amsn and Skype on three distros: Ubuntu9.04, Linuxmint7, and PCLinuxOS2009.2
Briefly,
Very, very dark (unuseable) video on all three, from both Amsn and Skype. Amsn brightness and contrast controls at 0 and won't move!
Incoming sound is OK on all three distros, from both programs.
Mic not working on any of them.
Camera, mic and headphones all work well on XP.
Thanks.
Keith
micox

Hello everyone. I'm new so please be gentle with me.
To confuse this thread (even further) I've been a Mac user on my main computer for years but have used Windows in various offices.
I bought a laptop in the middle of last year and, as I couldn't afford a Mac I found a discounted Toshiba with Windows aboard. Experience of Windows had led to an aversion complex - it feels somehow that it is a 'dirty' OS. So I loaded UBUNTU and when it was available, upgraded to 9.10. I have found it to be a wonderful system to use; problem free with thousands of free software programmes to choose from. For example, as a musician I looked for a good sequencer/score writer and to my delight, found 'Rosegarden' - an industry standard programme that does everything I want. A similar version of Sibelius would cost about £400, Rosegarden is FREE.
The only grouch I have about 9.10 is that it won't completely disable the touchpad (I like to use a mouse) as 9.04 used to do. I am trying to wring the nits out of configuring a wireless printer but I'm confident the HPLIP website will get me there.
I'd recommend UBUNTU as a classy operating system and far superior to Windows any day.
Heddwch.
Mike. Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

I'll be gentle with you because you're new, but... Windows isn't a dirty OS!  It's just an alternative to Linux, both are fantastic operating systems in their own right which suit their purposes perfectly.  Windows 7 is, without a shadow of doubt, the best OS I've ever used and I've used, lets see... Windows 3.1 - 3.11 - 95 - 98 - Me - 2000 - 2003 - 2008 (but not R1) XP - Vista - OpenSuSE - Mandrake (now Mandriva) - Redhat - Fedora - Solaris - Open Solaris - BeOS - LFS (actually enjoyed the theory behind LFS, its the practice that's complicated) and of course, Leopard and Snow Leopard. 
For form over functionality, OSX wins hands down, it pretends to be pretty but is invariably ugly and Vista looks better.  For functionality over form*, Linux wins hands down, its the most functional and configurable OS out there, heck, if you don't like the way the kernel is configured, you can make your own!  For the best of both worlds, good form and good functionality, Windows wins hands down.
* Yes, Linux can be configured to look like Windows or OSX or even, Linux, but there is something about the design spec for Windows applications, it's very precise, MS released a paper which tells you, in pixels, how far from the left margin of a form to put stuff, I like the uniformity I guess, some Linux app's still look like they belong with Windows 95, although if I ran a Windows 95 app, would it look like a Win 95 app? I may have to test that out Tongue  I mean, Linux desktop itself can look pretty, bah, you know what I mean.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: dgwebb
Windows 7 is, without a shadow of doubt, the best OS I've ever used and I've used, lets see... Windows 3.1 - 3.11 - 95 - 98 - Me - 2000 - 2003 - 2008 (but not R1) XP - Vista - OpenSuSE - Mandrake (now Mandriva) - Redhat - Fedora - Solaris - Open Solaris - BeOS - LFS (actually enjoyed the theory behind LFS, its the practice that's complicated) and of course, Leopard and Snow Leopard. 

Must disagree.
Recently bought a laptop for my Daughter (Uni etc) with Windows 7 on it.
My entire family finds it to be the pits.
It is occasionally used - but only when Ubuntu and Windows XP are unavailable.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

So why don't you dual boot it with Ubuntu?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This thread is titled"now an ubuntu user" although in saying that i was but only for a short while,i found i needed windows for several tasks that linux quite simply cannot do.please no arguing which is the best O.S,make your own thread if you wish,as you can tell with my avatar you know which i support.
If linux was better supported and not so complicated for new users it would be a very good os and actually it is for a lot of people
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: biker955
So why don't you dual boot it with Ubuntu?

[rant]£400 for a new laptop (with Windows 7) + extra for a USB mouse!!
The disk is only 250GB
What if the Windows 7 wouldn't install from the "recovery partition"?
I wasted a whole day trying to follow my way through their "single level menu" system - good exercise for my rodent.
This is why people don't change from Windows easily. Sad [/rant]
@Steve74 Can I suggest you subscribe [free] to http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ to receive a monthly magazine [PDF format]

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ive lost count how many times ive had that link chucked my way on these forums jeremy but thanks all the same Smiley
Not applicable

ditching windows was the decision i made a while back,i dont need a high spec pc with the latest windows that costs an arm and a leg not to mention all the security software you need in windows,because all i really use my pc for is online banking,checking emails,visiting a few forums and basically just surfing the net,I feel i can do all this with a linux op and doesnt cost me the arm and a leg plus ill be geting free updates for life,now who can refuse that lol,also i believed ubuntu to be the most popular so thats why ive chosen ubuntu although under the skin its really pretty much like mint,but now its installed and windows is gone i will be sticking with this op for sometime,unless i wana try out another linux t

Steve - re: above quote.  I understood that your computer needs were quite basic so wondered what it was that you cannot do on Ubuntu but can on Windows 7?
I would hazard a guess that the reason you have abandoned Linux is because you have a new computer with W7 and are enjoying the newness of it. Also that you are fed up with struggling to find out how to do things in Ubuntu that seemed much simpler in Windows (been there, done that etc etc). Familiarity is all!
I am now using Windows 7 on a new laptop but I just find it a complicated piece of software. I still haven't got to grips with the library business and TBH don't want to.
Only the other day it was almost compromised by a website that wanted to download malware on my machine. Happily, I stopped it in its tracks but I have had to go back to NoScript which I feel spoils browsing to some extent. Security is a constant worry and preoccupies Windows users far more than is healthy IMO.
I don't have an Ubuntu installation just at the mo because this is a new laptop. I know that it is compatible with Linux (it runs Ubuntu 9.04 live CD with no problems at all), but sadly I find it a hassle switching between two operating systems, particularly when I am on one and need something from the other. I am therefore sticking with the OS that I have paid for. In addition, the machine has a two year warranty so can't afford to mess about too much.  I'm waiting for the next LTS in April and might go for that as I am against 6 monthly upgrades - I feel that they are unnecessary and just create more bother which has potential for putting people off using Linux. 
Yes, there are little things that I like on W7 -  like Windows Mail (don't like Thunderbird) and just the sheer familiarity of the Windows OS but Linux is streets ahead in simplicity, security  and also for a better browsing experience IMO.
BTW Jeremy - I am glad that you gave me the link to Full Circle - get the reminder every month by email and enjoy reading it although  some of it I have to skip as it is above me.
Having said all this, I am definitely not in the business of perpetuating yet another Windows v Linux argument so as they say 'whatever floats your boat'.

David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Taxisofevil
Quote from: dgwebb
Windows 7 is, without a shadow of doubt, the best OS I've ever used and I've used, lets see... Windows 3.1 - 3.11 - 95 - 98 - Me - 2000 - 2003 - 2008 (but not R1) XP - Vista - OpenSuSE - Mandrake (now Mandriva) - Redhat - Fedora - Solaris - Open Solaris - BeOS - LFS (actually enjoyed the theory behind LFS, its the practice that's complicated) and of course, Leopard and Snow Leopard. 

Must disagree.
Recently bought a laptop for my Daughter (Uni etc) with Windows 7 on it.
My entire family finds it to be the pits.
It is occasionally used - but only when Ubuntu and Windows XP are unavailable.

I'll agree with you, some people naturally dislike new versions of Windows.  Windows looked like '95 from 95 till 01 so the switch from that view to the XP view was a big shock for some people with the majority setting up XP to look like 98, even I did that, I hated what they did with the start  menu, I loved the familiarity of Windows 95's menu bar.  So from 01 till 07 or so people got used to XP, then along came Vista which tanked, personally I liked Vista and didn't have any of the problems other people had, but the change in UI from XP to Vista was again a major leap, people hate change like that.  You have people who skipped Vista and are now using 7 which is a major change from XP with everything from libraries to the start menu and UAC.
At the start I hated the start menu and would curse MS for not adding the option to make it look like Windows 95.  Today I love the new start menu!  If I want to open a programme, I click start and type what I want to use.  OpenSuSE does the same thing, you can type what you want to use although I'm not sure if you have to click the box to start search.
Sometimes its best to just put away the past and get to grips with the present, XP is around 10 years old now, its familiar, and if people continue to use it they won't become familiar with Win7 so won't become accustomed to the way Win7 does stuff.  MS will release a new OS (next year apparently) which will be even further removed from XP and people who continue to use XP because 7 is so different will dislike that also, because its a major change and people naturally dislike change.
Yes, there are little things that I like on W7 -  like Windows Mail (don't like Thunderbird) and just the sheer familiarity of the Windows OS but Linux is streets ahead in simplicity, security  and also for a better browsing experience IMO.

Going to have to disagree with you there.  Simplicity is the ability of an average person to be able to do certain tasks.  Could an average user install software on Linux that isn't supplied with an RMP or DEB?  Those lot come in tar.bz and have to be compiled.  Even with RMP's you have dependency hell, can't install Application X without dependency Y which in itself needs dependency Z etc.  Having an application manager helps a lot with that aspect of Linux which can find the dependencies you're looking for, but with Windows installing an application has always been a download/double click.
Security, yeah, no OS (other than Unix/BSD) are going to be able to compete with Linux on security, but it's not something that concerns me, I use Kaspersky 😛
Browsing experience?  Not sure what you mean?  Firefox/Chrome is available on Linux and Windows (and Firefox is the worst browser anyhow, but again thats subjective!)
Got a nice screengrab somewhere, lemme find it Cheesy