Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now An Ubuntu User!!

Denzil
Grafter

Re: Now An Ubuntu User!!

Quote from: bobboulby
But isn't there a danger that people will start writing viruses and spyware to target Linux?

Possibly, but there are still many more Windows PCs around, including a lot that are not regularly updated, and most are set up with administrator privileges by default, so they are easy targets. Even if Linux was a target, malware writers could still not get round the need to enter a password to install anything.
I don't understand this. I've built a MINT laptop that only has one account. When I log-in I can install things from the Package Manager so does that mean that I'm effectivly logged in as root?

See the answers above. This is one way Ubuntu and its derivatives (including Mint) are a bit different from the standard Linux way of things. The standard Linux approach is to have separate superuser and normal user accounts.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ubuntu etc does have a superuser account, called root.
The difference is that you don't/can't sign-on as root.
[This can be changed if you have physical access to the PC]
It's not a good idea to do this though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

It seems to me that the request for password to do things in Linux is more or less the equivalent of the UAC in Vista.
As it was in XP you logged in as Admin and could do what you want but you need to be 'elevated' in Vista so in Ubuntu it is elevation to super user. Have I got it wrong?
Denzil - thank for the input. Wasn't referring to burning discs (no problem here using Brasero) but to commercially produced discs. They will run on Linux but you can't get the full effects. However, many of them can be used by just opening the files with images in them. Know that it sounds a bit complicated but can't describe it better.
Have looked at the alternatives to Publisher but I just like this particular programme (have been using it for a long time).
bobboulby
Grafter

So to test my understanding ...
When I log on to my laptop I am logging on to a user account that doesn't have permission to install anything. When I want to install an application, I am prompted for my password again and in the background this logs me on to root. In my case the user password and the root password are the same.
How can you set separate passwords for the user account and root? When I go in to "Users and Groups" the root account is greyed out.
Also I've just discovered that I'm only prompted for the "root" password once. Once I've been in to (say) "mintUpdate", I can go in to it again or in to (say) "Software Manager" without being asked for the password again.
By the way Steve, sorry to hijack your thread !
Bob
Waldo
Grafter

So to test my understanding ...
When I log on to my laptop I am logging on to a user account that doesn't have permission to install anything. When I want to install an application, I am prompted for my password again and in the background this logs me on to root. In my case the user password and the root password are the same.

Not quite. During the install the first user setup on the system is added to the /etc/sudoers file; using sudo you're able to gain root privileges once you've authenticated yourself (entered your user password) - there is no root password by default. 
How can you set separate passwords for the user account and root? When I go in to "Users and Groups" the root account is greyed out.

I'd suggest reading this first.
Also I've just discovered that I'm only prompted for the "root" password once. Once I've been in to (say) "mintUpdate", I can go in to it again or in to (say) "Software Manager" without being asked for the password again.

One you've used sudo and entered your user password you should be able to use sudo for 15 minutes before being prompted for your user password again (15 mins is the default; it can be altered in /etc/sudoers).
VileReynard
Hero

At present you have a root user with an unknown (to you) password.
Using a command entry screen, you could gain elevated security privileges; this allows you to change the password of root to something known.
After doing this, you could login to root - and it is conceivable that a security hole would allow you some malware to install itself.
At the moment, even if you have a security hole, software can't be installed without your explicit permission.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hey whats happened to my thread!? i only wanted to know if i was safe from keyloggers and malware from the way im setup from you lot with superior knowledge,I didnt want new linux chat that i dont understand and go weak at the knees at,i with much respect will leave the too much technical stuff for you guys and galz to kindly help me out with!!well what else can i say,thanks for the advice peeps haha Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Not applicable

What else can you expect from the Linux lads Steve? Once they get the bit between their teeth they won't let go.
There's nothing they like better than a good chinwag about their beloved OS, unless they're slagging off Microsoft (which probably has the edge).
It's a good job though as I would never have tried it if they hadn't been here.  Wink
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: steve74
Hey whats happened to my thread!?

Sorry my fault  Embarrassed - interesting though.
Bob
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just as a brief layby visit.
Every time I read one of these threads and see the obvious enthusiasm for Linux my resistance to change weakens a little more.
I have dabbled briefly with Ubuntu but as yet resisted the serious plunge.
Keep chipping away guys and gals and I'll possibly make the change. Smiley
Right...back on the road. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Go on strat - have a go - 'twould be good to have another Linux user around.
deekay
Grafter

For information, I too am a Ubuntu user.
I have to dual boot with XP, though, as I can't get Skype or aMSN working in Ubuntu.
Need both for video/audio chats with the family. Not at the same time, though!
As soon as I can, it's 'Goodbye Windows'.
Cheers
Keith
VileReynard
Hero

You should be able to use MSN via Pidgin (this is installed by default, I think) - not sure if video is included or not.
If you are prepared to download and install software outside of the repositories - and this is not advisable unless you know what you are doing,
Skype provide a Linux version, again I don't know if it includes video. Smiley

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Skype def. works on Ubuntu (from 8.04 at least) As I used it last year on my EEE. Not sure about the video as I didn't/don't use video calling.
deekay
Grafter

@biker955
Afraid I can't get Skype to work here.
Video is just a green square of shash.
Audio is OK on the playback test, but the mic is dead on the record test.
It's the latest beta download from the Skype site.
A couple of other Linux distros I have tried, give video and audio playback but mic is dead. XP perfectly OK, so there is nothing wrong with my mic.
@Crucibleofevil
Just tried Pidgin and it doesn't support MSN audio/video chat.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I ought not to continue here, as I suppose that I am hijacking the thread.
Thanks.
Keith