cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Router Login

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Netgear Router Login

I have a Netgear DG834G v2 router, and I'm having problems logging in to it to check the settings. I have it set up to only allow certain MAC Addresses to access it, and I want to check those. I recorded the username and password about 6 months ago. I have tried logging in by typing 192.168.0.1 in the top bar, but that just results in a error message "This window cannot be displayed". Ditto if I try 192.168.1.1. If I try www.routerlogin.net, that brings up a window for logging in (don't know if it is the correct window), but it doesn't accept my router username and password.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Netgear Router Login

there is the nuclear option - a hard reset back to the defaults
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'd rather not do a reset back to the default if I can avoid it, in case I find I cannot access the internet at all and don't know how to recover that situation. I installed the latest s/w in the router in January or so, and have added one computer MAC address to the Access List about 6 or 8 weeks ago. That computer connected to the internet then, though my visitor hasn't been back since we ran her laptop on my setup
Is there anything a little less desperate I could try first?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

change the browser cookie settings ?
whenever I cant logging into something its normally a browser config problem like too high a security,
the login popup should return an error access denied page if incorrect details are supplied, if your trying to login from a restricted mac address it just wont work
your option of last resort would be to telnet into the router, before doing a hard reset.
oh and check your firewall settings, its possible if your using mcafee (or similar) you have told it to not trust the router and its blocking the connection.
I wouldn't bother setting up mac address restrictions in the future, half the time they get corrupted and change from deny access to allow access from only those addresses......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
penneck
Aspiring Pro

If I use the IP address 192.168.0.2, the address bar comes back with yahoo.search (or something like that). Is the problem that somewhere on my pc, I have yahoo installed (or it is infecting IE or Google)?
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

You could try connecting by ethernet and use IE as the browser and type in 192.168.0.1  , but think a router reset is the only way forward
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'd forgotten about it, but I had this same problem back in July. I never found out what caused the problem then, because, all of  a sudden, the problem disappeared, and I was able to access the router setup. It just adds to the mystery..
Perhaps the router is just getting old.
Anyway, thanks to all for your help, but I  think I will close this topic now.
Cheers