Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music files on DVD in Folders

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Music files on DVD in Folders

I have successfully burned some music files,in .mp3 format, in folders, (9 folders in total)  to a DVD, using BurnAware software,

I have a few CD`s/DVD`s with music files that are not in folders in .mp3 format, that play on my car cd player.

I vaguely remember, a long time ago, doing a cd with files in folders ( or Albums ).. and that played back with no problem...

This latest effort seems to be something wrong, in what I have done, because after inserting the new cd/dvd it says "waiting"... and eventually says  "Error" and ejects the cd/dvd

I have checked the content of the cd/dvd on my laptop,... and it shows the folders...open the folders and is shows the music files, in .mp3 format listing ( as expected ) .

I have checked the old cd`s file format to confirm that .mp3 format works on the car cd player

I do not want to record/play the files in a "random" order, which would be the alternative version by removing them from the folders...as they would be filed in alphabetical order of title....

Any suggestions as to how to achieve the "album" format on the cd that will play the "album" when chosen from the in car selection on the cd player.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Music files on DVD in Folders

Are there any spaces in the paths or file names?

Also, if the player can cope with spaces in the filenames or it's not an issue, did you finalise the session when you wrote the DVD?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I know this is a silly question - but will your laptop play the music?

A friend used to have home made CD collections for in-car use, and the occasional one did as you post - usually fixed by his tech-savvy wife re-recording the disc - I think at a different bit-rate.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Far from a silly question @jab1 in fact a rather good one. Thumbs_Up

jab1
Legend

Following up my post, @shutter , ignore the bit about re-recording. Having just had a conversation with my friend, it appears she had to do quite a bit of fiddling in addition to the bit-rate change - she did explain, but a lot went over my head.😉

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  File names seem to be ok... as for "finalizing" or "closing".. the session... I assume that "BurnAware " does that... I have checked the "Disc Status" and it does say   " complete disc" ... although the folders and files only take up 335mb.

So , I don`t know how to "close" or "finalize" it, if that is needed..

@jab1 Yes, they do play on the laptop...  !

putting your two suggestions to a friend who has just come round, he, also, suggests, that maybe "finalizing" is the reason it will play on the laptop and not on the car cd player.

So.while I have been typing this, I have formatted the DVD disc...and going to do a new "session".... and see what happens... but will await responses on here before starting.

Thanks

jab1
Legend

@shutter I've never used BurnAware but to play discs on anything other than the machine you 'created' it on, it will have to be finalised.

Same principle as when you used to create copies of DVD's.

Note that once you have finalsed it, you will be unable to add any further data - unless your program has the ability to 're-open' it.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  OK... Understood.... but..... how do I "finalise" it  ?  

to quote a certain bard....

"That is the question..... "  ( dumb looking chinaman emoticon )

jab1
Legend

Sorry, can't answer that, it is years since I used a disc creation prog.🤔

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@shutter - Insert a disc, launch the Data Disc compilation, click YES to import the previous session, tick "finalize disc" in the options and burn the disc.

https://www.burnaware.com/faq.html

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  & @jab1 

OK.... it works now !.... firstly, I tried to do what Mook suggested using a DVD RW.   however, after reaching about 75% of the burn process, it seemed to bork itself, and the cdwriter just kept "cycling" through some process, making a burbling noise.... so cancelled that, and tried again...( three times - formatting the disc each time ).

Eventually gave up on that !.

put in a CDrw   and tried to make a .MP3 cd with it....but it would not show the "finalise" in the "options"..

then went to "audio cd"   same again..

So.. daft as it may seem.... the only way to get .MP3 files in folders on the CDrw was to use the "Data" format ...

Anyway... took it into the car cd player and it works a dream.  so  I will remember that, IF ...I need to do it again

Thanks guys

(smiley chinaman emoticons)

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I just wonder if the problem was the actual type of disk used. In the past, I've had much the same experience where some would work. others wouldn't. Doing what you have done i.e. using a CD RW rather than a DVD RW usually solved it. After all, not all cd players will play a DVD disk.

BTW we're suppose to be modern nowadays, you know, stream, bluetooth etc. Not a hope here.....yet! 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

BTW we're suppose to be modern nowadays, you know, stream, bluetooth etc. Not a hope here.....yet! 

Well, Idonno, how to stream bluetooth videos into my car... so I use "old tech"... and it works ( eventually ) for me !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just like disks there are various formats available for CD / DVD the reason the "Audio CD" wouldn't work is because the wrong format was being used as a music CD uses the WAV file format.

Using the data format is the correct way to create the DVD (CD) when not using .WAV files. However in an ideal situation the levels should all be normalised before burning, but your software may do this already.

If you are using Linux this can all be done via the command line, provided you have the appropriate libraries / utilities installed.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  Thanks for the explanation why the Audio cd choice did not work....

As for equalising the sound level..... UGH (or words to that effect)    I remember doing that to the last big compilation with a separate prog.... but forgot to do it with this one... ah well,

Can`t remember the name of the prog.... but it was simple to use....you entered all the files into a database, and then set the level  and clicked "OK" or somethiing... and they were all re-recorded at the new ( equalised ) level.

Maybe have a go at that later...

Thanks again for reminding me... !

( smley chinaman emoticon  )