cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilter on Fibre Unlimited

Timberlake

Microfilter on Fibre Unlimited

I have Fibre Unlimited working with a Hub Two and an RJ45 cable connected to a dual socket.

I want to move the router to a phone extension.  So far, I have tried the microfilter supplied with the Hub Two in all the phone sockets in the house, all of which work for phone use. When I tested the Hub Two, I made sure that no phones were connected. The Hub Two did not connect using any of the phone sockets using the supplied microfilter - but it did connect when using the dual socket without the supplied microfilter.

Can you suggest what the problem might be?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Microfilter on Fibre Unlimited

@Timberlake  Welcome to the forum.

There”s no problem, it’s working as it should.

The extensions are all filtered by your master socket. The extensions do not need additional filters, however they cannot be used with a hub.

You are advised to leave it like this and rather than bodge the wiring to make it work you explain why you want to move the hub so that we can advise alternative solutions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Broadband

Moderator and Customer

Timberlake

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that the house has thick walls, and the router is not in the best position.  An extender helps a bit, but it reduces the connection speed even when well placed for the devices.

Baldrick1

@Timberlake 

These are other options: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Ethernet cable will always be the best and cheapest choice, with a wireless access point if required, but if you need to extend coverage in an area covered by the same electrical circuit then a Powerline extender should also do the trick, follow the link embedded in the link above for more info on this.

Do come back if you need any help or clarification with these options.

Moderator and Customer

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sorry to jump on someone's thread but can you help clarify the last reply for me please?

I'm currently using a BT SmartHub 6. No issues btw. But my rather old master socket is not in a great place and getting power to it would be awkward. The wiring is inherited from the previous owners of my home and an extension in a more convenient location and near power is hardwired from the master socket so I use that for the router.

When my contract is up I thought I'd probably stay with PN and request a Hub2 (should the Smarthub eventually fail). Are you saying that the Hub2 won't work by design on the hard wired extension?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If it is has a recent master socket then it filters the broadband signal out from any extensions.
As your existing router works on an extension the hub2 will as well.
It could be that you're not getting the performance you could be by using an extension though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks.

That makes sense and is a relief. The master socket is at least 20 years old and doesn't have separate phone and broadband sockets.

I thought that if ever it got changed to a more modern one I could try and get openreach to move it somewhere more convenient in the house.