cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Router, recommendations

WasJohn
Grafter

Mesh Router, recommendations

I came back to Plusnet when fibre reached our village and I was assured by the Plusnet salesman that their router was compatible with mesh systems. Being on the point of ordering a Netgear RBK53 Orbi. Netgear tell me that it won't work with the Plusnet router.  Since Netgear seem to have the best product for my needs can I buy a plug and play modem that will work with both Plusnet and the Orbi mesh system.  Or is there another solution or another powerful mesh system.  In my house wifi extenders don't transmit through the walls.

16 REPLIES 16
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Mesh Router, recommendations

I don't have direct experience of Orbi products, RBK53 support page links to the RBK50 user manual. 

On page 79 of the manual for the RBK50

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

shows the Orbi can be put into 'Access Point mode'.  Then you would hard wire one of the Orbis to the Plusnet hub yellow LAN port.

Finally, switch off the wifi on the Plusnet hub.

However, if you wish to specifically use the full capabilities of the Orbi as your main router, then you can use the Orbi with a standalone VDSL2 bridge modem.  The cheapest modem options are perhaps:

- used Openreach Huawei HG612 (3B) bridge modem from eBay

- TPlink TD-W9970 offers a bridge mode.

- Netgear DM200

- BT Business Hub 5 also offers 'bridge mode'. (It must be the 'Business' version)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
WasJohn
Grafter

Thanks for such a prompt and clear reply.  The Netgear stuff should be here tomorrow, I pray that you don't have to hear from me again because I can't get it running, I'm as thick as the walls of this house Smiley

ianpidgeon

Any news on this...as I'm in a similar boat..
Have the Orbi, but couldn't get it to work with the plusnet onehub..

Have just picked up an HB612, but looks like i need to do a bit of fiddling on that too!!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@WasJohn

If you have tbick walls you may still have problems with wireless connections between the satellites. I know installation is a pain but be aware that you can interconnect the units via Ethernet cable if necessary.

@ianpidgeon

The easiest way to connect these is as a Wireless Point as explained on page 79 of the manual linked in the @bill888 post above. Using a HG612 is a neater solution but you do need to configure the Orbi by entering your Plusnet log in details.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ianpidgeon

So it was actually dead simple...
Didn't have to 'access' the modem at all...
Plug in the phone line...plug in the orbi.. Enter the CORRECT log in details, and it all just worked!!!

Fast stable WiFi throughout the house!!!
wartosa

Sorry, I'm also a bit of a tech-newbie, but:

Do you mean you plugged the Orbi system into the phone line without using either the older BT Modem/Technicolour router that Plusnet used to supply (which, weirdly, has worked better for me than the Hub), or the Hub, and it worked?

So it does the job of both a modem and a router?

If so, I'm ordering one tomorrow Smiley

Thanks...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@wartosa  The Orbi system does not include a modem so the Openreach modem or equivalent is still required, See post #2 of this thread.

wartosa

Great, thanks very much.

jasmyn

You can use a HG612. remember to configure the Orbi. This should help 192.168.0.1. You can find information about different types of routers and fix your issues.

WasJohn
Grafter

I settled for the Netgear DM200 router and the whole system has worked like a dream.  I'm only aware of the connection dropping out once since I've had it.

I had a redundant Netgear route extender from a previous attempt to get a signal further than one room. This found the network from what passes as a man-cave in the garden and acts as a hotspot, though I do have to find and connect to it each time.

bogart99
Grafter

I have the Netgear DM200 modem but cannot get anything to work with the Orbi router. I could not get the DM200 to work with a Netgear Nighthawk router either but it worked fine with a Sky modem. What login details did it ask you?

Regards

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I installed and Orbi router with three satellites using a BT Home Hub as the modem a few months ago.  I had to change the default settings on the Orbi but after that it was fine.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@bogart99

Using the DM200 gives you two options for setting up.

1. If you set the DM200 in Modem + Router mode, which from the installation data sheet (see link below) looks like the default setting, you need to enter your Plusnet details into the DM200 (see link below) then set the Orbi to the Access Point mode.

2. If you set the DM200 to the optional Modem mode then the same Plusnet details need to be entered into the Orbi, not the DM200.and the Orbi configured in Router mode.

Other combinations will not work.

Link to Plusnet account settings https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Link to DM200 installation guide download (look for it in your browser download file)  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=2ahUKEwj5_9ekhf_eAhWJmbQKHRm5Abg...

I hope this helps.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WasJohn
Grafter

Thanks for the guidance. I shall now knock some sense into that Netgear modem and strip it of its router properties.