cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security

My wife's laptop has both Malwarebytes Free and Norton Internet Security. I dont know when she installed the Norton, but I put the Malwarebytes on it years ago. However, apparently she has had a problem for some time where if she tries to run Malwarebytes she gets a message that there is an update available. When she tries to install the update, nothing seems to happen. Could the Norton be blocking the Malwarebytes update? Malwarebytes seems to be able to scan the laptop

Thanks for any help

4 REPLIES 4
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security

Forget this post. I have uninstalled Malwarebytes then reinstalled it. It means we are using the latest version now, so hopefully, the update issue will have disappeared.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Long ago I was advised that multiple AV programs could clash with one another. I scrapped Norton years ago (too expensive, tiresome pestering to renew) and last year Kaspersky for obvious reasons. One-off download of Malwarebytes is good for winkling out those semi-advert programs but like millions of others I am very happy with Windows 10 Defender -- and it costs nothing!

penneck
Aspiring Pro

According to my good lady wife, the Norton has been on her laptop since she bought the laptop. She has never used it. I might as well just uninstall it and free up some disk space. Her laptop has Win 7 on it so we can use the Microsoft Security Essentials that come as an extra with that to back Malwarebytes Free. Neither cost anything, and my experience of them has always been good

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@penneck If/when you uninstall Norton, make sure you use their Removal Tool and then check for any 'left-overs' - AV programs and their like don't always want to depart your system gracefully.

John