Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for budget router with OpenVPN support to replace Hub One

bazmattaz
Hooked

Looking for budget router with OpenVPN support to replace Hub One

Hi there,
As the title says. I’m tired with my Hub ones having zero ways to configure it. I have fibre broadband and am looking for a router To replace the hub ones with the following specs;

- OpenVPN support so I can configure NordVPN
- dual band
- gigabit router
- Dd wrt support

Any suggestions? Max Budget would be around £100. Keen to buy on eBay if I can get something bad ass for £100
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Looking for budget router with OpenVPN support to replace Hub One

fwiw, if you can stretch your budget to an Asus RT-AC86u powered by 1.8 GHz ARM processor from Broadcom, it's openvpn client performance is claimed to be upto 70 Mbps out of the box, or upto 170 Mbps (with hardware acceleration) with Asus-Merlin firmware according to PIA:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2018/08/hardware-acceleration-is-here-for-routers-using-o... 

Around £30-50, the Linksys EA6350 v3 can manage 25 Mbps openvpn speeds with OpenWrt 19.07, but it is still 'work in progress' due to known VLAN and some wireless issues with the Qualcomm IPQ40xx 710 MHz ARM SoC imho.

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/linksys_ea6350_v3 

DD-WRT tends to favour Broadcom based routers btw so you may be best to ask on DD-WRT forum too.  I would presume the RT-AC86u is supported.  Prior to the RT-AC86u, the Broadcom based RT-AC68u (800MHz SoC) was previously one of Asus's best sellers.

None of the above have a VDSL modem btw.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bazmattaz
Hooked

Thanks for all this information. It's super helpful. Thanks forn the tip about the DDWRT forums

Unfortunately I need a router that has a VDSL modem too so I can fully replace the Hub One.

Shall I presume that any router with a VDSL modem in it could replace the Hub one?

I really dont want to have my second Asus router as a Wireless Access Point with the Hub One - I want one router than handles everything and is highly configurable

bill888
Champion

I'm afraid there is no 'wonder' router that does everything you desire.

There is virtually no open source firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWrt etc) for modem-routers.  There is some support for ageing Lantiq modem-router devices like Home Hub 5A/Plusnet Hub One.

Asus may sell a modem router with OpenVPN, such as the £180 DSL-AC88u.   But it is powered by 1GHz BCM6xxxx SoC - no where near as fast as BCM4xxx found in RT-AC86u where there is also AsusWrt Merlin support.

Other thing to consider is do you want all devices to use VPN, or just 'some' ?  I got a hunch you can't have 'both' with Asus, but I could be wrong as I don't own/use an Asus.   Be wary that some services don't work with VPNs.

If you are planning to make all devices go through the VPN, then you won't be using Port Forwarding and so just connecting an OpenVPN client router to back of Hub One will work.

ISP -- Hub One (PPPoE authentication) -- 3rd party router (openvpn client)

The more desirable solution is

ISP -- Bridge modem -- 3rd party router (PPPoE authentication)

Any VDSL modem will work with Plusnet.  eg. Netgear DM200, old Openreach VDSL modems.

Some routers like TD-W9970 and any BT Business Hub 5/Business Smart Hub offers 'bridge' mode too.

Another reader may be able to offer more advice on the subject. 

Other info:

AsusWrt Merlin forum

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/ 

My openvpn setup guide for OpenWrt

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=279 

bazmattaz
Hooked

Mate this is invaluable knowledge, thanks for your support.👍

Interesting that you say there is no magic router with VDSL that can handle DD-WRT.

I would like the option of being able to configuring devices to the use the VPN or not if possible. As you say I think some VOD services dont like VPNs.

I have a feeling I might go the second "more desirable" route you mentioned. At the moment my Asus connects into my Hub One and acts as a WAP which is annoying - I want full control of the router and all it's features - like DD-WRT and OpenVPN. I also want to be able to manage DNS servers (Cant change DNS on HubOne)

I presume my current setup is NOT in bridge mode as the HubOne doesnt do that?

So what If i bought a BT openreach Fibre modem and then a DD-WRT compatible router like the Asus ones you mentioned? Presume that would work fine? I could manage the Asus like a full router?

Thanks again

bill888
Champion

Hub One does NOT offer bridge mode.

Yes, you can use any DDWRT, OpenWrt or any other cable (non-ISP) router running OEM firmware of your choice if you install a dedicated VDSL bridge modem.  You will have full control of your router, but won't have access to any modem line stats.

Almost all non-ISP routers running OEM firmware permit owners to change DNS server settings.  If you want to use DDNS, that's a different matter.

I should point out most Openreach VDSL modems will be already 4 to 9 years old so will be 'used' and coming to end of their working life.  Capacitors going bad is common reason for failures.  Huawei HG612 type '3B' probably best of the bunch but they do run hot unlike less desirable ECI modem.  HG612 can be unlocked.  However, getting line stats from the HG612 modem is a bit difficult. (stats not available from ECI modem). Finding a HG612 in good nick will be difficult.

ebay is probably best place to shop for a cheap modem.   You may be able to find a cheap/younger TPlink TD-W9970 or an unused BT Business Hub 5 or bulkier BT Business Smart Hub as alternatives to use as a bridge modem for around a tenner.

Business Hub 5 bridge mode

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt... 

TD-W9970 emulator

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/emulator/ 

tdw9970Bridge.jpg

fwiw, a Home Hub 5A/Hub One running OpenWrt/LEDE could be configured as a bridge modem too, but it wouldn't be my first choice as there may be performance issues to consider.  Pre-modified 'refurbished' hubs offered on eBay could be up to 6 years old and coming to end of their working life.  They are more expensive than an unmodified TD-W9970 or new BT business Hub 5.  See section 9.8 of installation guide for bridge mode for more info.

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 

The Asus RT-AC86u may not solve your requirement where you want to choose what devices to use VPN.  Best ask on snbforum and DDWRT forums.  I would also investigate which is better, my gut feeling is AsusWrt will generally be better than DD-WRT.