Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Localhost message

FIXED
sullys666
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Localhost message

Wanted to check my router stats earlier this evening, but when I logged into my  ASUS DSL-N55U it wasn't generating any information.  I had a look through several of the other menus and noticed the following message

dnsmasq-dhcp[8633]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.196 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

After some detective work it seems that my son's Samsung smart tv is the culprit.  I have been into the settings and made sure it has a unique name that should show on the device list, but it's still showing as localhost Sad

Anyone have any ideas where I can change the name of it other than on his tv.  There appears to be no option on the router.

6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Localhost message

There is a lengthy discussion on this issue here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-hostname-conflict.26264/page-2 .  The problem seems to be particular to Asus routers and there is some sugggestion that updating the router firmware might fix it.  Or there seems to be some customised firmware called "Merlin".

sullys666
Rising Star

It appears it's Samsung's fault for how they have named their device. May have to do more trawling of forums as that one doesn't relate to my router, and I don't want to download firmware that could be wrong and make it worse.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Fundamentally it's Samsung's fault but Asus routers seem to be more pernickety about it than others.  Since there does not seem to be a remedy at the Samsung end you may have to persuade your Asus router to be less fussy.  

sullys666
Rising Star

Not really sure how I can do that as it doesn't appear you can rename the connection at the router end Sad

Anything more than that is beyond my technical ability.

legume
Rising Star

So does the TV fail to get a connection to the internet?

sullys666
Rising Star

Fix

No the TV says it is connecting to the internet, and my son has used it to access Youtube, so I assume it must be.

However, I have managed to upgrade the firmware to ASUS DSL-N55U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_2736 and this has now given me the option to rename what was showing as localhost to something more relevant and it seems to have stopped the message I was getting regarding it.