cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited access

yorkshire7
Dabbler

Limited access

My laptop is using windows 8 and I am constantly getting Limited access when connecting to the wireless box, this is happening more and more, I understand there are some settings I can change, can anyone tell me what they are?  step by step please?

68 REPLIES 68
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Limited access

sounds like you have a weak wifi signal.
have you looked at that to see if it can be improved?
yorkshire7
Dabbler

Yes, plusnet did some adjustments last week

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Weak wifi signal wouldn't do that, it would cut in and out instead but would still assign an IP address - assuming of course that enough data packets can be transmitted between the two devices in the first place.. in that case a weak signal might be seen as non existent and the laptop would probably assign a 169. IP address to itself.

You need to make sure your laptop is getting a public IP address and that the router is handing them out. I don't know Win8 so can't comment on the settings but hopefully i've managed to give you a pointer. You also need to make sure that you have a default gateway and DNS ip address when connected to the router.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
yorkshire7
Dabbler

This doesn't really help me -as I have no idea what you are talking about or where to look

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

You need to make sure your laptop is getting a public IP address and that the router is handing them out. I don't know Win8 so can't comment on the settings but hopefully i've managed to give you a pointer. You also need to make sure that you have a default gateway and DNS ip address when connected to the router.

why would the laptop need a "public" IP address?
only the router would have a public IP address. all other devices on the network would have a private local IP address (unless you happen to put the device in a DMZ).

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Limited Access is usually a consequence of the handshaking between your router and your device going wrong when it tries to set-up the wireless connection.  This could mean that your router and your device are too far apart of that the wireless on one of them is faulty.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@chenks76 wrote:

@7up wrote:

why would the laptop need a "public" IP address?
only the router would have a public IP address. all other devices on the network would have a private local IP address (unless you happen to put the device in a DMZ).

Thanks, you're totally right. Posted too quick and got confused lol. What i meant was a normal LAN ip address instead of a 169 type.

To the op... sorry i can't be more specific, as i said i don't use or know windows 8 so can't tell you what to look for.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
cooldude50
Rising Star

Limited access can be due to Network within PC/Laptop set as Public as Opposed to Home

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+8+home+network+setting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-...

yorkshire7
Dabbler

Thank you, I have checked it is set in the home group as a private network

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi ,,,, did you solve your problem ? I have just got Fibre from PlusNet having previously had ordinary Broadband from them and get exactly the problem you describe as well

My connection goes "Limited" or just stops randomly. This can be failing to connect at all or working for a minute or a few minutes with about 20 minutes being the Max ! Windows Diagnostic checks usually come up with "The default Gateway is not available"

I am a complete duffer when it comes to fixing any problem and though I have seen fixes suggested I too cant understand 99 per cent of what is being offered as a solution - and I wish I had left well alone especially as my Fibre speed is only 14 so cannot support the Youview+ TV Box I don't think

The only fix I have tried is turning off the Power Management "tick" in the Box but amazingly it seems to work better when selected rather than not selected

Glad for any advice

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@ReedRichards wrote:

Limited Access is usually a consequence of the handshaking between your router and your device going wrong when it tries to set-up the wireless connection.  This could mean that your router and your device are too far apart of that the wireless on one of them is faulty.

@Bamboozled "Limited Access" means No Access.  If it works for a while then fails then either you have an intermittent source of wireless interference that drowns-out the signal or the wireless device in your computer or your router goes wrong when it gets warmed-up.  

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi and thanks for the reply. With a knowledge base of "nil" I have at least learnt a bit more

The new Router though is within 6 feet of the Laptop and the previous Router (also PlusNet) did not give me this / these problems at all so as it started immediately I put the new Router there I am not suspecting my Laptop

I have no bother if using my Mobile Phone with Wifi and Wifes IPad seems to work without any bother but I use my Laptop like a Teen so notice everything that disrupts it whereas I would not know if the IPad drops out if it is not in use

I am waiting to see if I can get a speed of 15 out of the Router and then I will have TV and will then decide whether to just get a new Laptop unless I can find a definitive fix.

Cheers JT

yorkshire7
Dabbler

mine does the limited access for days and wifi box goes on and off and then stops doing it.  For the last week it has been working ok, been on the internet every time, but it does sometimes come up with check your wifi speed it is running slowly when I play a slot game.  I think it is the broadband not the laptop.  All I get from plusnet is ring up, but the queues are terrible.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Bamboozled

Which Plusnet router do you have? You can see a list (showing a picture of each here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ )

If you have the Plusnet Hub One then you may want to try this common first test.

It is to change the name of the SSID of the 5GHz wireless mode (most people just add a 5 to the end of the name). The how to is given at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ Just click on the picture of the Hub One and then click on the text heading "How do I check or Change my WiFi settings" . You will need to unclick the box "Sync with 2.4Ghz (5Ghz band only)"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT