cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lepy 2024a Amplifier power supply problem.

colintivy
Rising Star

Lepy 2024a Amplifier power supply problem.

I recently had delivered a new Lepy 2024a Amplifier which runs from a plug-in power adapter running from UK 240v Mains. This supplies 13.5v DC at 3 volts. to the ampifier. (I have another Lepy unit running two good speakers permanately attatched to my main TV which sounds very good and has runs so far for over 3 years). I wished to add a similar set to my bedroon set, based on the first amplifier's performance. i plugged in the new stuff and bingo all was well, sounding  excellent.... BUT after about 30 minutes it went silent!! My testmeter revealed that the output from the adapter was zero. The unit has the normal 13 amp 3 pins to plug in to mains and I wondered whether the fuse had gone or disconnected and unscrewed a small screw to look inside but was not able to open the case. Have any of you pundits come across a similar fault like tis?

9 REPLIES 9
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Lepy 2024a Amplifier power supply problem.

Very rare that you can take any plug in power adapter apart nowadays. Most are glued together. I'm assuming the adapter is 13.5v DC at 3 Amps, not 3 Volts. Have you tried using another adapter? Might be poor quality adapter if the outputs gone already. Not unknown. As you can see a screw it might be a case of getting a little bit more brutal to get the case apart.... but what made the fuse pop in the first place? Have you tried the amp with another power adapter?

Whether it is worth returning it to the supplier, only you can decide. Me? I would. From experience, most electronic gizmos, if they are going to play up at all, tend to do so early on in their life. If they don't, they tend to go on for years and years.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you mean that you couldn't open the moulded-on 3 pin plug?

If so, you could always cut it off and wire in a proper plug.

But then, you wouldn't be able to return it...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If the plug in unit has an integrared 240ac to 13.5dc volt power supply it's unlikely to contain a replaceable fuse. If this is what you have then under no circumstances follow @VileReynard advice and replace it with a 13A plug.

Either send the unit back or replace the power supply. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

If this is to go by there is no renewable fuse in the power supply

colintivy
Rising Star

hi! 2u2me!

Thanks for your Post.

My unit came directly via eBay from an outfit in Hong Kong who probably get direct from the makers in China. When coupled up it worked well for the 30 minutes or so then complete silence. The blue light on the amp had gone out which was  indicative of no volts. My test meter indicated open circuit on the input and output wires of the adapter, which suggested disaster for a unit able to stuff out 3 amps at 13.5 volts! I do not know enough out about switching adapters to try to fix it.

Looking at the at the1 & 2 stars customer's comments they all speak of a lot of similar experiences. At the other end of the 5 & 4 stars they all comment  about the magnificant performance and are in the majority.

The exporter has come back to me saying very sorry. They do not want the kit back for servicing and have sent me my money back. I will try to find a source of any replacement power pack, conventional or switching construction and see what happens!

VileReynard
Hero

Might be worth looking at laptop power supplies - although any replacement won't be cheap.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Remember that 3A is the minimum current that the replacement must be rated at. A higher current rating is not an issue. I would try a 12V replacement, there are stacks designed to supply LED tape available. You will probably find that it works fine  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0086D9J00/ref=asc_df_B0086D9J0053981295/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=221...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero

I hate these power supplies with a plastic earth pin on the 3 pin plug.

Unless you are ever so careful it threatens to break off inside the socket.

Bought an £80 external disk drive (for backups) and it's like this.

I'm going to put it inside a 3-way adaptor, so that I never need to unplug the fragile plastic bit.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Baldrick1!

Thanks for the reference, just what I needed. Item coming pronto, so here goes!

C.