cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Windows 10 Update 1709 - Help please !

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Latest Windows 10 Update 1709 - Help please !

I am absolutely desperate.  Without asking, Microsoft has just updated my computer to version 1709 and killed my software.  My whole life since 1995 has been managed through Outlook, starting with the old Exchange and ending with Outlook 2000.  I know that is old software, but I have kept every email, every task, every contact, every appointment, every everything going all the way back to 1995 and I am often referring back to an old archive.  Outlook controls my life, however sad that may be.

I delayed changing from Windows XP until Windows 10 came out, because neither 7 or 8 were compatible with older software.  Under no circum,stances do I want at my age to change to something new which will be incompatible with my old files and full of features which I will never use.  For the last two years, ever since the launch of Windows 10 in the summer of 2015, I have thankfully been able to use Outlook 2000 and all its functionality without any problem of any sort ---- until this morning.  Version 1709 has suddenly killed it.

I am getting messages that Outlook Express 5.0 needs to be installed, which of course is long out of date and unavailable.  When I knife and fork it, I then get a message saying "Corporate server service must be installed" which it always was previously, but even if I try to activate it now as an "Option", nothing happens because it clearly is already active.

If I try to send an email, I get the message that "No transport provider was available for delivery".

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I can do about this ?  I am devastated.

42 REPLIES 42
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Latest Windows 10 Update 1709 - Help please !

first thought is to try this https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c9673cdc-0fa9-4126-9acc-b9ec42222ae3/after-wind...

I must admit to being worried as I use Office 2003 but the laptop I am replying on is still on version 1703

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just checked on my PC and it's updating to the 1709 version and at 99%.

I'm running Outlook 2013 so I'm hoping Microsoft will be kind to me. I do have Office 2016 (Home and Student).

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If it only updated today, then there may be no "problem solvers" on the net, YET... however, it appears that there have been problems before, including with Outlook 2013 on windows 10 ...  I googled  " Outlook problems with windows 10 " and came up with this page..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr=0&q=windows+10+outlook+problems&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimmby4_ujXAhXLL8...

There may..... rpt, ... may... be something useful you can try on some of the "earlier" fixes showing...

Not using Windows 10... nor Outlook, so cannot speak from experience... just hope something MAY work for you..

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@shermans Update

1709 installed and Outlook 2003 wouldn't work (send/receive failed) but selecting the repair option for Office 2003 fixed it

If that doesn't sort Outlook 2000 I suggest upgrading to 2003 which is more secure anyway and it will read your pst files

you can get the Student and Teacher Edition which includes Outlook 2003 really cheap from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0000BZ54S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pb_opt?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Note that it is, I believe, a three user license which is partly used are available

From memory I think I needed to install it in Win 7 Compatibility Mode

if you go down that route you will need to install the following and in this order

Service Pack 3 Office2003SP3-KB923618-FullFile-ENU.exe

Security Update office2003-KB3203427-FullFile-ENU.exe

Security Update office2003-KB3203484-FullFile-ENU.exe

If you want to open the later office files then you will need to install FileFormatConverters.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3 followed by this patch (note that the download is being retired in April 2018 so I would save a copy)

wordconv2007-kb3203438-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

shermans
Pro

Thanks for the various suggestions.  I will follow them all up.  I travel a lot and have a variety of PCs and a laptop, and find it easiest to work off-line, and therefore just carry my *.pst file on a memory stick with me instead of a computer.  Everyone says I should use the Cloud but I do not trust anything which I do not control myself, and it would also be impractical when there is no internet access.

I will try the Office 2000 repair menu first and then the Office 2003 if that does not work.  The problem with the Office 2003 CD which I have is that it does not include Outlook 2003 unfortunately, so not much hope.

I will keep you posted.

shermans
Pro

Great relief.  All is back and working.  Thanks to all who offered advice.

I first tried Old Jim's idea of using the MS Office 2000 Repair menu on my old CD, but sadly it made no difference.  I tried the Repair menu also on my MS Office 2003 CD, which unfortunately does not include Outlook 2003, but that did not work either.  As one of the messages was that Outlook needs Internet Explorer 5, I even tried to install IE5 from an old CD, but it would not do so because there is a modern version already installed.  I could have deleted the current version but I suspect that it would just automatically re-install itself again.

After trying all the other suggestions, I eventually managed to revert to the previous version of Windows 10 (1703), but with some difficulty, because  the new new 1709 update removes the facility to stop further automatic updates which you could do in the previous versions.  That meant that any attempt to go backwards would be overridden on next re-boot, as Windows 10 would have detected the older version and immediately automatically updated again to 1709.  The same would have applied to restoring to a Restore Point, but 1709 in any case deletes all previous restore points.

Then I remembered stopping my anti-virus temporarily some time ago for some reason, for which I had to use Run > services.msc.  I wondered if I would find something for Windows Update there.  Sure enough I did, and I was able to disable it.  Even after re-boot it remained disabled.  I then discovered that for 10 days after the new update of 1709, you can go back to the previous update by Settings > Update & security > Recovery Go back to an earlier build.  So I tried that, and indeed everything returned to normal.  And it remains so this afternoon.  I have re-booted several times, and no attempt is made to update again to 1709.

The question now is to know whether to ever update again ?  I am hoping the Microsoft will make some changes, because there are so many complaints about it on the web following the 1709 update.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fixed - until next time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you try to run Outlook 2002 ("XP") with any version of Windows 10 then it will not remember your email password after Outlook is closed.  I have never found a solution to this issue so I find it surprising that you got on with Outlook 2000 hitherto.  Outlook 2003 runs successfully with Windows 10 including the 1709 version.  The only bug I have experienced is that you either have spell-checking by using Word as the email editor or the autocomplete function works for email addresses.  Choose one or the other.   

shermans
Pro

How interesting.  I have never had any trouble running Outlook 2000 with Windows 10 before this last update.  I have three computers - two ASUS desktops, an HP laptop and a Lenovo Windows 10 10" hybrid laptop / tablet solid state.  Outlook 2000 runs on all of them, and it always remembers my email password.  The spell-checker works perfectly normally also.

I am thinking of uyninstalling Outlook on the Lenovo and letting it update to 1709, and then try re-installing Outlook 2000 to see if that works.  I have been reluctant to try with the other machines because we are so dependent on them.  The lenovo is just a convenience and we simply transfer the *.pst files across, whereas the other three are networked and use one of the desktops as a server.  It has always worked without a hitch, until now.

My experiment will tell me whether it is just a matter of having to re-install Outlook 2000 on each machine for 1709.  But that would not be practical if it meant re-installing it everytime there was an update !  The difficulty is with the customisation, folder links and profiles which all take time.

Because under 1709 it kept asking for Internet Explorer 5 (ie5), because of course the new Internet Explorer comes bundled with Windows 10, I was wondering what would happen if I uninstalled Internet Explorer (which I never use) and let the repair menu install ie5 ?  I fear W10 would not let me uninstall Internet Explorer or that ie5 would not be able to be instaleld on W10, though.  It would be a lot of wasted time.  What do you think ?

shermans
Pro

I have now tried to load Outlook 2000 on my Lenovo, after updating it to 1709.  It worked on the previous 1607 version, so I uninstalled it first.  As it is a 10" Windows 10 solid state Tablet, I just use it as a convenience, mainly for Googling or looking at the BBC website etc., not for anything serious.  So there is very little else installed except Microsoft Office 2000 which I also uninstalled.

Sadly, Outlook 2000 no longer works.  The rest of the Microsoft Office 2000 suite does however work after re-installation.

I wonder if anyone can help with any of the following error reports in respect of Outlook 2000 ?  They seem to be references / links to features which I do not use anyway, and I wonder what can be done to remove these links.

1. "Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater".  This is a warning message only and not a show-stopper as Outlook 2000 continues to try to load.  I could install IE5 from the disk but it would mean deleting the W10 version of Internet Explorer, which I imagine could cause other problems - I never knowingly use Internet Explorer as it happens.

2. "Error 1904. C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\OLE DB\MSOLAP.DLL failed to register.  HResult 2147024714". I do not know what OLE means or is, but I wondered if it might be OutLook Explorer ?  Or is it more technical than that ?

3. Ditto "MSMDCUBE.DLL".

4. Ditto "MSMDGDRV.DLL"

5. Ditto "MSOLAPUI.DDD".

6. "Error 1919. Error certifying ODBC Data Source : Visual FoxPro Datatbase"

7. "ODBC Error 6.  Component not found in the Registry.  Verify that the file FoxPro Database exists and that you can access it".

8. Ditto "Tables".

9. Ditto "dBase Files Word. ODBC error 6".

If anyone can throw any light on any of the above, it may well help

Thanks.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Microsoft like to ensure that all software is not backwards compatible.

They want you to pay to rent the same product multiple times.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

1.  Outlook Express has not been around since Windows XP so that message is clearly not true.  But you seem to be getting confused between Outlook Express (defunct email program) and Internet Explorer (semi-defunct web browser).

2.  OLE stands for Object Linking and Embedding.

6.  Visual FoxPro is long-gone.

There might be some useful advice here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/a-look-at-running-older... although take it with a pinch of salt.  

shermans
Pro

Thanks for the comments.  However, Outlook Express was bundled with Internet Explorer (ie5) in the old days.  I never used it myself, but did have to help several people to set it up.  Microsoft Office 2000 SetUp automatically tries to install ie5 and then link to it.  I imagine the same is with FoxPro.  I imagine that the errors are the OLE registrations because they cannot link to the above.  That is why I wanted to try to uninstall W10 Internet Explorer and try to install ie5 in its place - I have tried and ie5 will still not load because the W10 version is somehow still registered even if uninstalled.

I will look at the MS link you sent to see if it can assist but I somehow fear I am flogging a dead horse.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer were bundled with Windows.  There may be associations between the two programs but Internet Explorer has continued on into Windows 10 whilst Outlook Express was discontinued after Windows XP.

I had forgotten until today that I had a problem with Outlook 2003 after the Windows 10 1709 update which I fixed by running a repair.  Towards the end of the repair there were two error messages about ‘Visual Foxpro’ which I chose to ignore – with no adverse consequences that I have yet found.