Did you mean: 

Laptop battery

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Laptop battery

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
The clue is in the name.

Except that it isn't; you won't find many manufacturers selling a 'laptop' computer, they are more commonly described as 'notebooks' these days.  Using them on your lap could block the air vents and if they overheat they could burn your leg so manufacturers tend to fight shy of suggesting that you can.. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Some laptops...
http://gizmodo.com/182257/dell-laptop-explodes-in-flames

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Of course, it's not the actual laptop that exploded but the battery!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Laptopns and netbooks are wonderful things if you're truly a portable user but otherwise desktops rule!
As for batteries Mav, the larger the capacity the better. If you can get the 7200mAh for a good price it's definitely worth it IMO. Just remember that battery care is very important. Always let it run down to say 2% before recharging and you'll find it lives a lot longer than a battery that gets charged in at 50% like my missus's. She recharges hers whenever she thinks its getting low and will need a recharge for the next days usage. I run mine down to the lowest possible level before plugging it in. Guess who's had to replace their battery and who hasn't? I'm still on the original and it still performs almost like new. Admittedly I've recharged it accidentaly part way through a discharge but it's only been 3-4 times and I've always made sure to discharge properly asap.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I thought you didn't need to deeply discharge li-on batteries (wikipedia agrees), I thought the only bad thing you can do to a li-on battery is to completely discharge it, then if you don't re-charge it the self discharge may drop the level even further, and then it won't recharge.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

IIRC, that is because the charging circuit reads the battery characteristics before charging and, if the level drops too far, that is not possible. However, I have had success by repeatedly switching the charger on/off, which I suspect applies very short charge pulses and can lift the voltage sufficiently for the data to be read (one time, switching on/off 5 or 6 times during tea-breaks over a couple of days did the trick with an old Dell  Shocked Roll_eyes )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Battery arrived this morning but, although the model numbers are the same, it's slightly different in that it has a bulbous underside rather than flat. This is probably a good thing as it allows for much more airflow.
It was already charged to 68% so will charge fully. The blurb that came with it says to let it discharge to at least 4% and charge to 80% 3 times and then to allow it to fully discharge( 4%) once or twice a month to maintain optimum performance.
The VIAO seems much cooler at mo (49C) but it is only charging. Makes me wonder whether the old batter was getting too hot. Will check under load later.
Edit: Just ran a few programs (FF, SplitCam and VLC player (no video playing) and CPU temp shot up to over 60C and System to 63C as reported by speedfan.
Edit 2: The battery was rated at 7800mAh and not the advertised 7200

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero

How many KwH is 7800mAH?  Tongue

ejs
Aspiring Hero

11.1V × 7.8Ah = 86.58Wh = 0.08658kWh
VileReynard
Hero

Grin

Mav
Fixes: 515

The old battery rated 4400mAh also shows 49Wh.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still