cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop battery

Mav
Fixes: 515

Laptop battery

Last year I mentioned I was going to purchase a new battery for the Sony Viao that wasn't holding it's charge very well. Other commitments meant it got sidetracked but now SWMBO is complaining that it doesn't last more than about 1/2 minutes without being plugged in.
A little more research and I've found a couple of sites that have the correct battery but as the laptop is coming up for 4 years old this year I'm reluctant to spend too much. I'm thinking the the laptop probably has two more good years, but I could be wrong - according to SWMBO I usually am Cheesy
A link to a UK-based company given to me by shutter doesn't offer the battery for my model and of the other two sites one appears to ship from China the other from the UK.
Current battery is 4400 mAh.
The cheapest at £29.99 ships from China (but has a UK contact number) and is 4400 mAh.
The UK site offers three. Two at 4400 mAh (one of them stating better cell replacement and is the dearest of them all) and the other is 7200mAh.
My main question is should I stick with the 4400 mAh or would there be higher benefits (longer time away from charging) from buying the 7200 mAh one?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES 25
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Laptop battery

Since your battery only lasts minutes without the charger you manifestly are not using it.  You might as well take it off, throw it in the (recycle) bin and just run the laptop on the power adaptor.  Given that you don't use the battery at all at present I don't see how we could possibly judge if you might derive any benefit from a replacement with a larger charge capacity.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the full model number of the laptop, and what is the model number of the existing genuine Sony battery ?
Mav

Thanks guys but didn't see your replies till now Sad
@ReadRichards The original battery was fine for over two and  half years holding it's charge for around 2.5 hours in general use. Just wondered how much extra I could possibly get from the 7200. My research suggests up to 60% more use under normal conditions (whatever they are).
@purleigh Its a Sony VIAO FW56W and the battery is VGP-BPS13/S.
I've actually ordered the 7200 from the link I provided above (on orders from SWMBO).
Should be here in a week or so and will let you know how it works out

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What you need to do, after the initial charge, when the new battery is fitted..... is to run it for a week, and then just run the battery down, by leaving it on overnight, ( not charging)_... then next day charge up again.... I would do this about once a month, especially if your battery use is only for a short period, ( 1 hour or so)... as these batteries do need to have a charge/discharge cycle, to keep them in good usable conditon....
using it on the mains and keeping it charged is not a good idea....
Mav

I had no problem with the battery for over 2.5 years allowing it to discharge fully every 2/3 months. Then I started to let SWMBO use it more than me and I found she kept it plugged in constantly and never let it completely discharge - coincidence, perhaps Roll_eyes

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Most people use laptops as if they have no battery in them.
They don't even move them from place to place.
They could buy a more powerful desktop with a bigger screen for the same price.
Amazing what effect retail sales can have on people!  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes, the point I was trying to make earlier is that Mav's better half must be using it in 'tethered' mode now so is a battery really needed?
But desktops are so unpopular these days that you really cannot buy a desktop and screen for as low a price as a laptop with the same processor/memory/etc.
Mav

Oh, yes, SWMBO most definitely wants a new battery especially when she want to use it in the conservatory or garden and is fed up with it either shutting down between reconnecting it to the mains or trailing leads especially as there are no sockets in the conservatory.
Who would dare argue with their SWMBO  Shocked Roll_eyes

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

So why have you not installed a socket in the conservatory for her?  Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mav

Landlady was going to do it then she had to pay for extensive repairs to the conservatory Sad
I certainly wouldn't do it on a rented property.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom

Quote from: ReedRichards
But desktops are so unpopular these days that you really cannot buy a desktop and screen for as low a price as a laptop with the same processor/memory/etc.

You ever tried sitting with a desktop on your lap, it's not the comfiest of things Roll_eyes
Most people don't want to move off to another room to use a PC, they want to do it sat in front of the TV..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

SWMBO likes to have the freedom to move around but also the convenience of having it plugged in when she plans to spend longer in one room.
For me, I prefer a desktop and can't see me changing my view. I have a laptop for my OU stuff but tend to mainly use the desktop unless I'm studying in bed or out and about. To be honest, the laptop doesn't get much use these days.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: dvorak

Quote from: ReedRichards

[Have] you ever tried sitting with a desktop on your lap, it's not the comfiest of things Roll_eyes
Most people don't want to move off to another room to use a PC, they want to do it sat in front of the TV..

The clue is in the name.
Get a desk for your desktop!
People who have to wrestle with laptops in their lap will get more than just their fingers burnt.
Also, if your keyboard "wears out" it's trivial for a desktop user to "repair" it.
It requires a major servicing job on a laptop....

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Also, if your keyboard "wears out" it's trivial for a desktop user to "repair" it.
It requires a major servicing job on a laptop....

Wrong !..... I replaced my laptop keyboard within 15 minutes from start to finish !...
and there is a video on YouTube to show people how to do it..............................  Simples  !  Eeeek !..

Yeah.... ok... so some other makes may take a bit more effort....  There`s probably a YouTube Vid on them if you look hard enough !.......( I love Dell laptops! ! ! )