cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after migrating to Windows 11

cityboy

Issues after migrating to Windows 11

Re-installed Outlook to a new windows 11 PC. I keep receiving a notification "Plus2 account is out of date". I've no idea what this is referring to. I am still able to receive emails but all of the old folders I created (such as "Saved Emails". have been removed. Not 100% sure, but fairly certain I had POP settings but account now shows IMAP. Should I delete account and start again?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Re: Issues after migrating to Windows 11

"Re-installed Outlook to a new windows 11 PC"

Did you have this working previously on the Win 11 PC ... or is this a new install of Outlook on a new Win11 PC?

If you were previously running Outlook with your email account as POP3 then the "old" folders will all have been LOCAL folders within Outlook's local storage folders.  You will nee to find the .pst files on your old PC and move them to the new PC.

With an IMAP configuration everything is kept on the mail server, so that any and all devices accessing that mailbox can see the same content.

Just to be clear, when you say "Outlook" do you mean proper Outlook (Outlook365 or Outlook 2016) rather than that excuse for "Outlook" which ships with the OS (Win10/11 mail)?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cityboy

Thanks for replying. I'm a bit lost to be honest. Previously, everything was fine with Win10. Outlook was part of MS Office 19 (Prof). The  hard drive got damaged and I had a new one (SSD) installed and upgraded to Win11. I had to download and re-install Office 19 from MS. My Outlook account reappeared but with the issues previously described. The old hard drive drive was re-formatted and installed as a second storage. Possibly I have messed up on setting up my account details on the new PC as there now appears to be 2 "Me's" when logging in.

Does that make any sense.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Yes in parts, no in others.

If you were using POP3 before then your folders will have been local and they will have been lost, unless you have a back up copy.  Use https://webmail.plus.net to see what folders are on the server.

Outlook can make a shambles of guessing the email server names; manually change the account settings to be as follows.

• Inbound
    • Server (IMAP) imap.plus.net port 993 encryption SSL/TLS
    • If the primary (default) mailbox the username is your Plusnet account name and password
    • If a secondary mailbox the username is PlusnetAccountName+Mailboxname and the mailbox's password
  • Outbound
    • Server (SMTP) relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS
    • Use the same login details as the inbound server

On occasions I have seen a need to specify the IMAP root folder as inbox to ensure that all SERVER folders are listed within Outlook.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

@cityboy 

You have the expert helping so the only thing I will say that if it were me, before doing anything else I would do a search of both drives and take a copy of any file with the ending .pst. If you used POP3 and they were still on the drive that was reformatted without a back up copy then they’re gone forever. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'