Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address

FIXED
Philippe
Hooked

IP address

Hello everyone,

For the last few days/ weeks, I am not sure, the IP address of my wifi connection is an IP address of another country?

I have just realized it a few days ago as I cannot log in to one of my accounts. I receive a message that I cannot log in as I am in USA...

I have Norton Internet Security, but the secure VPN is off. I have cleared the internet cache but no improvement. The only way to log in is to use my mobile with the 4G.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: IP address

@Philippe If you are able to, can you say which account this? I suspect they are using out of date geo-location data.

To check where does the following site say you are located? Where is my IP location? (Geolocation) 

John
Philippe
Hooked

Hi John,

Thank you for your help. According to the website, my IP is in UK. I do not understand my problem.

What do you mean by Out of date geolocalisation data? What can I do to fix that?

Philippe

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Fix

@Philippe If that site shows your IP to be in the UK, it is.

The 'out-of-date' comment is because some companies get the location data from sites which are, shall we say, a little tardy, at updating the actual IP location, bearing in mind that IP blocks are regularly sold/moved between different ISPs/areas - BT (who own PN) for instance have blocks originally issued in the USA, which they moved to their UK operations, and correctly re-registered in the UK. Unfortunately some of the company's who are supposed to maintain this data do not update their records very often, or companies that use such services do not bother updating their records, and you end up in the situation in which you find yourself, through others incompetence.

My hopefully easy answer for you is to turn your hub off for a minimum of 65 minutes, or overnight if possible, in the hope that you will be issued with a new IP which does not fall foul of this incompetence, I can't guarantee this , as PN IPs are issued from small 'local' pools, but if you can leave it overnight, there is a good chance that it should happen.

Post back if it doesn't work, though.

John
Philippe
Hooked

Thank you Jab1