Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDrive issue

washboardmac
Grafter

IDrive issue

Hi

I've been with both PlusNet and iDrive (online backup) for a number of years and everything has been working fine until recently.

My desktop PC, my Chromebook, my Synology NAS and my Android phone are all having problems. I've done a fair amount of testing and what's revealed itself as a likely cause if the issues is the broadband.

What do I think this? Because when I use the the phone over 4G it at work on wi-fi all's good. I can't take the PC or NAS to work but if switch between wi-fi and mobile data on the phone I can switch instantly between fault and non-fault situations.

I've just had an idea to tether my Chromebook to my phone and will try this later.

What's 'interesting' is that all devices allow me to login to the iDrive web interface but never deliver a list of backed up devices.

Any clues anyone?

Cheers

Andy
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: IDrive issue

@washboardmac 

It would be helpful if you explained in detail the nature of your problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

washboardmac
Grafter

Hi

More details.

I can sign in on the app, the PC and the chromebook but I can then not see any devices.  If I switch (the phone) to 4G then instantly all devices are visible and backed up files can be seen and retrieved.  I've tested tethering the chromebook to the phone and using 4G it's back to working properly.

The PC has a desktop client that normally backs up in the background but it's constantly saying 'retrying'.

It's as if the backend of iDrive is rendered inaccessible when visiting via PlusNet.  I am in the middle of a support conversation with iDrive but they can see no problem their end.

Cheers

Andy

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Tech Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

First thing to try is, change DNS server settings on your devices (if not already set/tried). OpenDNS is pretty quick on PlusNet connections (208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220) , others to try are cloudflare, Google or quad9.
That's RPM to you!!
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi
I know my NAS is set to all the 8s (Google) and I think my desktop is also but it's certainly worth a try. Will report the outcome.
Cheers.
Andy
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi

No change when using alternative DNS providers unfortunately.

Cheers

Andy

RPMozley
Pro

Ok, so DNS issue has been ruled out.
Next let’s check the IP, do you have a static IP address from PlusNet or are you on a dynamic address?
That's RPM to you!!
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi

My connection's dynamic.  Not sure how that would make a difference with the direction the traffic is flowing, i.e. me contacting then, not vice versa.  Worth a thought though.

I've got a new router coming from PlusNet so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I also have the IP addresses of the backend servers of iDrive for further investigation if needs be.

Cheers

Andy

RPMozley
Pro

OK Andy, let us know how you get on with the new router.
That's RPM to you!!
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi again

New router has arrive and is up and running.

And coincidently iDrive is back to working properly.  However I'm not fully convinced that the router solved the issue.

I set up the router via my Chromebook on wi-fi.  Once online I went to the iDrive and could see devices and browse lists of backed up files.  It was during an upload of batch of photos that I noticed the problem and none of them had been backed during this promlematic period.  But when I looked into the relevant area on iDrive some files were there!  I had left my desktop PC on for long periods of time previously so perhaps the fault was erratic and a few files had managed to upload.

Either way it's all working now. Thanks for your help.

Andy