cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hudl2 tablet - battery not charging

MAW
Dabbler

Hudl2 tablet - battery not charging

I have replaced the battery in a Hudl 2 tablet and it is working.

However, the battery is not re-charging with the correct Hudl2 cable (which works on other devices), with the tablet power either on or off.

A factory reset has not solved this problem.

Should the charging port be changed?

2 REPLIES 2
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Hudl2 tablet - battery not charging

Some devices seem prone to the micro usb port failing. I replaced the port on an old Hudl 1 which was easy and fairly cheap as it came on it's own circuit board. Looking on ebay Hudl 2 are the same for under a fiver. Yes you can just solder on a new port more cheaply if you want. Just did that on a microsoft smartphone but it's much more prone to something going wrong and you only save a couple of quid.

When I got myself a Hudl 1 I could see right away why they had so many port problems. Compared to all my other micro usb devices theirs was upside down. I assume some were trying to force in the charger the wrong way round sometimes. Which eventually worked it loose.

Sometimes on new leads the plugs seem a bit tight so I always file the two springy prongs down a bit until it fits to my satisfaction. Rather than force them in.

When it's plugged in on charge have you tried pressing the plug up or down to see if it starts charging? A mute point really as if it does start charging when you press it it's a sure sign it needs replacing. Much the same if it doesn't charge. But at least then you know that the port is definitely the problem.

MAW
Dabbler

Re: Hudl2 tablet - battery not charging

Thank you for your thoughtful input - most useful.

I have found some YouTube demonstrations on replacing the Hudl2 charging port without soldering, so it is worth a try for just a fiver.

Strangely, when I select Settings / Battery on the Hudl2 screen, the display shows that the device is charging, even though the 'charged' percentage decreases.