cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to watch internet TV channels on my TV set

Oriole

How to watch internet TV channels on my TV set

I have a Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20B TV with built-in Freeview and Freesat tuners, plus a wireless LAN adaptor and broadband router/modem. I want to have a second set in a bedroom where there are no TV outlets.
I see there are now websites - wwiTV, Live365, Rad.io, etc - providing free internet access to TV channels worldwide, including all those found on Freesat / Freeview. So, how best to access these from a TV set?
A Smart TV suggests itself, except these don't seem to have the PC-type controls necessary to facilitate this. It seems I would need either to connect my iMac - normally in my study - to my new bedroom TV - not the most practical solution - or manage things remotely from my iMac.
I see also there are "Android 4.0 HDMI Dongles" which, plugged into the television's HDMI port and accompanied by a small remote control, effectively convert an ordinary HDTV into a Smart TV with integral controls to boot, enabling access to any internet channel, rather than just the few available through Viera.
I think I need one of these HDMI dongles and a non-Smart TV for my bedroom, plus a second HDMI dongle, as a replacement for my existing LAN adaptor, to convert my existing, non-Smart TV set into a 'super-Smart' model.
What should I do?
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: How to watch internet TV channels on my TV set

If you are an Applehead, how about Apple TV?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

An android TV box would be preferable to the dongles, the box has everything you need including a remote.
Something like the Sumvision box would work, you would need a wifi connection to it though.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I bet your TV is DLNA compliant (I don't actually know what that means).  Grin
My Panasonic PVR is.
Basically, if you have a media server your TV and or PVR can play back that media on screen.
MediaTomb works well on Linux.
You just store your films as MP4 files on disk and tell MediaTomb where to look.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

DLNA compliant will only work if the the tv is a "smart" one. Basically you setup a dlna source, and the tv will play what it sends to it. There are several apps about that will send the video to client (TV, PVR etc)