cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect printer to new ISP connection/router

naivenad

How to connect printer to new ISP connection/router

Hi.
I've just connected to Plusnet as my ISP, and wifi is now working  -  I can browse etc wirelessly with my laptop.
Now I need to connect my printer to the network.
So, I've got the Technicolor TG582n router provided by Plusnet, and my printer is a Samsung CLP-300N.
Previously (with AOL) I had a Netgear DG834G router, and the printer was connected by wire to the router.  Anyone connected to the network could use the printer.  I want to do the same now, but if I just plug the printer into the router exactly as before, apparently it's not being recognised.
Technical support at Plusnet can't even suggest how to do this!  Bizarre.  So much for customer support.  Anyway they've referred me here.  Can anyone help?  I imagine it's straightforward, but sadly not to me!
Thanks,
N/
14 REPLIES 14
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: How to connect printer to new ISP connection/router

The printer IP address will have (or will need to be) changed because you've changed routers.
If the printer is set to obtain an address via DHCP you should see the printer in the list of devices on the router or you can find the address on the printer itself (perhaps by printing out a status sheet?)  You'll need to reconfigure you PCs to use the printer on it's new address.
If the printer was previously set with an IP address entered manually, you'll need to reset it to an address outside the router's DHCP range and again re-configure your PCs to suit.
HTH?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The printer manual refers you to a supplied software disc to configure the printer to share on your network.
But the above post should enable you to do it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TORPC
Grafter

If it is via the USB Technicolor
Then there are some useful articles, that was passed my way
http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=Printer_sharing_TG582n
http://help.demon.net/files/2013/03/TG582n-User-Guide.pdf
Some questions I asked that were answered in the above links Smiley
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124165.0.html
Hope they help
If Wireless
Then the above mentioned should see you on the right path, (Providing the Samsung CLP-300N has WiFi capabilities)
I could not see reference in the Specs from http://www.samsung.com/ae/support/model/CLP-300N/XSG-techspecs to inform if it is WiFi or not
naivenad

Hi all, and thanks for prompt replies.  So just to clarify: the printer is not wireless;  it connects to the router into one of the 4 ethernet sockets.
But I chose my username quickly;  maybe I should have chosen 'ignorantnad' or something like that!  I really need an idiot's guide, because I don't understand what is meant by DHCP, I don't know how to find the list of devices on the router etc etc, can't print a status sheet as printer not working etc
So if an idiot's guide can be cooked up, that would be great.  In the meantime, I'll follow the links.
N/
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One but is easy - for me as the rest isn't - the connected devices are shown here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1
TORPC
Grafter

If you want / need to change your username
Goto
PROFILE in the gray banner above
Then Account Related Settings
Change username
Scroll down
Click Change Profile
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can we keep this thread on topic - how to connect printer - as the username referred to by the OP was obviously intended as a funny
Note that despite what was posted above you can't change your username only the display name
pwatson
Rising Star

The manual for the printer is here
Section 7 gives instructions about how to set the network up
Section 5 shows how to print out a configuration sheet
SetIP can be downloaded from here
naivenad

Ok, thanks for replies, but making no progress yet.
oldjim's link to reveal the connected devices does not show the printer on the list.  The only thing on the ethernet port list is the laptop I first connected to the router (Plusnet advise you to connect the router to your computer by wire when first setting up).  Despite the laptop now being connected to the netowrk wirelessly, the list still shows that port as being connected to that laptop.  i've even put the printer's wire into that port, but it makes no difference.
I've run SetiP, but no printer is listed automatically, and pressing the 'Refresh' button produces nothing.  Trying to add the printer's address manually produces the pop-up 'Cannot receive any response.....'
I've tried 'adding a network printer' in windows (windows 7 btw) but that makes no difference.  It thinks there's one there, but there's no communication with the printer when it tries to send a test page.
pwatson
Rising Star

What IP address does the printed configuration page show for the printer?
naivenad

pwatson
Rising Star

OK, this confirms that the IP address of the printer is wrong for your network.  Try reseting the printer (if possible) and running SetIP again.  Note that you enter the MAC address of the printer into the utility, not the IP address.
naivenad

I can't see how to 'reset' the printer.  I've tried turning it off and turning it on again.
SetiP asks for four things:
MAC address
IP address
Subnet mask
Default gateway
These are all provided from the configuration sheet, and I've typed them into SetiP.
If the IP adress given is wrong, what's right?
pwatson
Rising Star

I believe you enter the MAC address of the printer and then the IP address, mask and gateway that you want it to be now.
I don't have this printer or a PN router but I think the settings (assuming your PC IP address is 192.168.1.xxx) should be:
MAC address = Printer MAC
IP address = 192.168.1.250
Mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.254
This should put the printer on 192.1681.250