cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block youtube on router?

Pioter

How to block youtube on router?

Is any way I can block youtube on router ?
Nothing in games and programs to block. Any ideas ?
Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: How to block youtube on router?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Pioter

I've have got sagem plusnet one hub 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Although the PN Hub One does allow you to have control over devices to the internet (access control) it does not (oddly) allow you to block a website by its domain.

The access control is rather basic - it allows you to control what time a certain device can use the internet but that's it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Depends on the client.

A rather rudimentary approach is to put a customised hosts file on the client PC's.

7up
Community Veteran

Yeah but you can't do that on an android mobile!

We don't know enough about the ops setup and reason for wanting to block YT. If it's a young technically minded kiddy in the house then overriding a hosts file would be a breeze. Thats why it needs to be blocked at the router.

It could be done with a mini-itx box between the router and the rest of the network but it's a complex walk through to help someone do that and rather costly. It would be easier just to get another router which supports url blocking.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

Yeah but you can't do that on an android mobile!

We don't know enough about the ops setup and reason for wanting to block YT. If it's a young technically minded kiddy in the house then overriding a hosts file would be a breeze. Thats why it needs to be blocked at the router.

If they're technically competent enough to override a hosts file, then they''re also competent enough to get around any router blocks...

It could be done with a mini-itx box between the router and the rest of the network but it's a complex walk through to help someone do that and rather costly. It would be easier just to get another router which supports url blocking.

You could do it cheaply and easily with a Raspberry Pi  and Pi-hole 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes that's true, it can be easily worked around. I don't see the point in blocking personally.

I think my sysadmin friend would have the traffic going through a default gateway which does the blocking, but that doesn't stop someone from just using 4G.

I personally am worried about when my niece starts school in a year or so time and starts using the internet. Yes I want her to meet people and don't want to be too draconian. But how do I tell whether anyone she speaks to on-line is genuine?

I know of a few people at work who they've caught. One was an adult male they caught pretending to be a 6 year old girl.

I will leave it there, but to be subtle that is not right and less subtle that is [-Censored-]ed up. Roll_eyes

7up
Community Veteran

@Davey a raspberry pi has one physical network socket so while it can offer dhcp and routing abilities it is only complimentary and not forced.

Using a mini itx box with two network interfaces would allow it to be physically located between the router and the rest of the network allowing it to forcefully block certain requests via the software router.

Now tell me how you expect to do that on a RPi with just one network interface?
Anonymous
Not applicable

An RPi will support multiple NICs using something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NPJP33M/ As I use one here to control my RPi Cluster Controller. But as they still share the common USB bus throughput is not as good as it would be with dedicated Ethernet.

7up
Community Veteran

@Alex your colleagues sound disturbing! Something not right with people these days and it does worry me that there seems to be so many freaky people out there.
7up
Community Veteran

For the reasons you state Mook that's why I didn't bother suggesting the RPi myself although the tiny size is preferable compared to a larger mini itx based device. But even then Linux is a total mystery to many and quite a daunting challenge.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with you @7up, a multi NIC unit would be by far the best option for a dedicated unit but building your own firewall is not for everyone. However, if @Pioter has an NAS box like a QNAP or Synology then they could run their own internal DNS and black hole YT at source, but that is just as easily defeated by the user setting their own DNS to the likes of 8.8.4.4 etc.

7up
Community Veteran

Just block outgoing requests to port 53 on the firewall!

As for building a firewall I'd rather use a pre made one from a reputable security vendor than try to write and build one myself.