cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Set Up a VPN on my home Wifi network whilst the rest of my wired network is on fixed IP

Radiojock558

How to Set Up a VPN on my home Wifi network whilst the rest of my wired network is on fixed IP

Hi Folks  I've Just Joined  and I'm sorry if this subject has come up before. I am not a full card carrying techy.  What I want to do is to use my plus net connection to send my weekly live radio show on a fixed IP as the radio stations  system works with a timed event that looks for a fixed IP Address ... ( That bit works at the moment.)  I have recently  bought a smart TV and Amazon fire stick .. and I need to use a VPN via wifi to watch US Netflix and listen to blocked American Radio Stations  My router is an original  Technicolor TG582n Plusnet  is it possible to feed another router from this one and use it as a VPN only Wi fi network or will I have to start afr kiesh with 2 better quality routers.  Ive looked every where for help with this can anyone make any suggestions to solve my plight.  Have I got the right idea on how to solve this or am I asking for trouble even thinking about doing this. Any Idea's  Huh  Please

Thanks in advance 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): A duplicate post was released from Spam Filter and removed.

2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: How to Set Up a VPN on my home Wifi network whilst the rest of my wired network is on fixed IP

You would still have to pay for a USA Netflix connection & I understand that Netflix is blocking most VPN addresses. You could try viewing Netflix through your web browser if you configure it to use a free web proxy.

You could certainly listen to American radio stations, using a web proxy.

[ This is what kids do when schools/parents try to block access to "evil" websites ]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: How to Set Up a VPN on my home Wifi network whilst the rest of my wired network is on fixed IP

@Radiojock558 (super user name by the way ! - I can just hear the "ding ding" )

The fixed source IP address comes from you having bought that service from Plusnet.

If you then want to have a network level VPN to make you appear to be in the USA a second (reasonably capable) router plugged in to one of the Ethernet ports on the Plusnet Technicolor TG582n might be the simplest thing to do.

Personally, I would buy a router that your VPN service supports.

https://www.hidemyass.com/software/routers

provides a selection of suggestions and some support.

Otherwise a "business class" router from ebay and some messing about may be needed.

I am the satisfied customer....