cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I recover a deleted e-mail

tich731
Grafter

How do I recover a deleted e-mail

Is it possible to recover a deleted e-mail message in Thunderbird? Am I right in thinking that my messages are held on a PN server?
9 REPLIES 9
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: How do I recover a deleted e-mail

Depends on how you have set up your Thunderbird account.  Go to Tools- account settings - server setting.  There you will see the option to 'leave messages on server'.  This will show you how you have your Thunderbird set.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Tough,  you are not recommended to leave mail on the PN server, once deleted  (and the file compacted) its gone,  I you can - download the mailbox via outlook or Outlook Express, if it was in the recent past it appears as if by magic.
On my XP, the deleted mail is in a Dat Index file and can be got at again providing you havnt compacted the folder
tich731
Grafter

Hi Artmo,
Yes the option to "Leave messages on the server" is checked. How can I get to them?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

webmail would be my first option
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Oldjim just beat me to it.  Webmail.
I assume the email you want to retrieve is within the time scale that you have Thunderbird set at.
tich731
Grafter

Yes, it is within the timescale.
I have looked at Webmail (for the first time) but need some further guidance to see a particular mailbox and the messages contained therein.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

If you are in your webmail you should see your folders listed on the left hand side.  Just click to open.
tich731
Grafter

OK. Great. Thanks for your help Artmo.
samuria
Grafter

You will have to login to webmail with the same users name and password that you do with Thunderbird so check in it to see what you use. If its a set up mail box it will be username+mailbox so if the users name is fred and the mail box is mum you login with fred+mum or you wont see anything just the default.
Of coarse you can restore it from your backup you do have a backup dont you?