cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the WIFI channel (FOUND IT !)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

How do I change the WIFI channel (FOUND IT !)

And that is the question !...
Router is thomson tg585 v8
Been into the menu and can`t seem to find it....
help please...
OK.. for those who need to know ! ...
Log in to router... Home>HomeNetwork>Interfaces>WLAN :  (name of your connection)  Then at far right side click on "Configure"  and change the channel about halfway down  then click on Apply at the bottom...
Job Done .. !..  Wink
9 REPLIES 9
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: How do I change the WIFI channel (FOUND IT !)

Glad you found it, some of these routers do not have 'intuitive' interfaces.  It's years since I used the TG585v8 (though I found it OK at the time).  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

The router is fine... no probs ... but checking out the local wifi transmissions with inSSIDer... shows I am on the same channel as 4 near neighbours... so I wanted to change to a less used channel to see if it improved the connection during music vids ( stuttering ).. but not sure if it has made any difference yet !... Wink Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use iStumbler mainly on my iMac to check neighbouring channels.
I do seem to pick up WiFi from quite a distance away.
150 metres is the furthest I have been able to identify so far.
Many others are on default Channel 11.
Another app, WiFi Signal is also useful, though the recommended other Channels are not always better, when I trial switch.

I changed mine to Channel 10 manually.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for an interesting post Shutter - I've learned something Smiley I'd be interested to know if connection improves with time.
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, I just ran a youtube vid and it doesn`t seem to have made any difference... still stutters.. ( like a crack in an old record ! )... however.. previous to the channel change, I used to get the stuttering start and then restarted the vids every time ... and that seemed to cure the problem for the rest of the vid run... so not much (if anything) has changed...  Cry
My download speed is still the same..  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

I used to run my TG585v8 on channel 9 to avoid neighbours.
When I purchased Roku LT it wouldn't connect and solved it by moving back to channel 11.
Tried with 2 other routers and would seem Roku has limited channels.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
The router is fine... no probs ... but checking out the local wifi transmissions with inSSIDer... shows I am on the same channel as 4 near neighbours... so I wanted to change to a less used channel to see if it improved the connection during music vids ( stuttering ).. but not sure if it has made any difference yet !... Wink Wink

Well, I have been running on channel 7  since this post.... but only just "sussed" why the vids are "stuttering".... it is caused by AVAST scanning the websites as I look at them.... so each time I get a new vid... it stutters.... because of AVAST....however there is a solution... Just click on the AVAST icon and stop the scanning for 1 hour whilst watching vids... it automatically resets itself after 1 hour so no problem with stuttering.... Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Better solution - get a decent anti virus which doesn't affect normal internet usage  Cool
shutter
Community Veteran

Yah!.... thinking I`ll go back to Avira ... and see if that does the same....