Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HomeHub 6 Which Type ?

Posts: 20
Thanks: 2
Registered: ‎03-12-2016

HomeHub 6 Which Type ?

I'm thinking of buying a second hand BT homehub 6 for use on my plusnet fibre connection.

I heard there are two types of BT HomeHub 6's. One for FTTC customers which is distinguished by 4 x GigE ethernet ports on the rear. And an FTTP one which is distinguished by 3 x GigE Ethernet ports and the forth port re purposed to a 1 x Wan port. question is....

 Which one do I need for my plusnet fibre connection ? I'm guessing I need the FFTC one (fibre to the cabinet) ? I guess the FTTP one is only for BT business customers lucky enough to have fibre to the premises ? Is my assumption correct about which type of homehub 6 I need ?

Thanks for any responses ! 

Posts: 3,000
Thanks: 928
Fixes: 86
Registered: ‎21-09-2009

Re: HomeHub 6 Which Type ?

You have answered your own question Smiley


If you had FTTP then you would know as it has a fibre box fitted to the outside of your house and another inside (called an ONT) which is the FTTP modem. These 2 are linked by a small fibre optic cable through the wall. There would be no connections to your BT phone line. The ONT looks like this (and has a battery pack with it on the right of the picture.


FTTC devices plug straight into your phone socket.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT