cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network

Community Veteran

Home network

I needed a little practice with Visio so I thought I'd draw out my home network, in all it's over-complicated glory!
Does anyone have anything this over-the-top?!
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Re: Home network

Is that all Ben?  Wink
Netgear N300 main router <->Gig switch ->1/2/3
1 -> Main pc + laptop (with 2Tb usb drive doing file server duty) + Win pc normally off (used for flashing devices) + ethernet->usb adaptor->printer
2 -> HH2 -> xbox + pi (at the moment) + various devices as needed
3 -> Netgear 5 port 100Mb switch -> TV + Humax Sat box + Bush freeview box + media player (Sumvision MKV)
+ various devices by wifi, android tablet, 2 nooks, Orange live radio
1+2+3 are all hard wired together.
Community Veteran

At least I'm not alone Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

I nearly brought home a 19" rack (small one) a few years back but decided against it  Grin
I forgot the HP Prolient server in the attic, mind you it isn't plugged in anymore  Lips are sealed (too much power (elec) for too little gain) it used to be my mail server. With 3 18Gb scsi disks in a raid 5, and 2 9Gb in a mirror, and a dlt backup unit in it - was a good server in its day (about 12 years ago) and was chucked out due to end of life  Shocked
Community Veteran

I have the BT Modem going to my TP-Link Router, this goes to a gigabit switch which then feeds four Linux machines.
The Linux machines then filter / firewall / proxy / web / backup / print / email server  through two other access points and also provide access to the workshop which has another Linux machine running as a backup server plus a CCTV server.
I also have another access point/repeater by the telly which feeds the satellite box, Xbox, Blu-ray, Revo and Raspberry Pi.
Oh and there are around another 6 or 7 devices which access various parts of the network remotely.
I also have a box of Lanreach and Wireach modules which I'm planning on using to automate the rest of the house.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I see your visio, and raise you an MS Paint done in about 3 minutes lol

Home server 1 = Debian
Home Server 2 = Debian
Stream PC = Windows 7
Gaming PC = Windows 7
Router = TP Link running DD-WRT
Router + rack = downstairs, link to upstairs = 30m ethernet cable to the switch upstairs =]
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mattz0r
I see your visio, and raise you an MS Paint done in about 3 minutes lol

Grin Grin Grin That impressed me even more than the Visio map !  Grin Grin Grin
Mattz0r
Rising Star

bwahahaha Cheesy
Internet is a bit sluggish tonight though :/
Community Veteran

Pah - I've just spent the past week troubleshooting the wireless card on my new Dell laptop - I've managed to work out what has been killing it. It would drop to dialup speeds before totally freezing up (although it shows as connected in the taskbard).
I doubt I'll get any thanks from Dell though despite them burying their heads in the sand for the past 7 months about the problem .....
Mattz0r
Rising Star

ouch :/ what was the problem?
Community Veteran

It seems that the bluetooth on the module is interfering with the wireless. After a pint of cider, I had a flash of inspiration and did some testing and for the first time in a week I've had a stable wireless connection with the internal card.
Laptop was from the Dell outlet - it packed in 30 minutes after it was delivered and needed a new motherboard. The wireless has been doing my head in and it very nearly went back to Dell today.
Full(er) story in the thread below.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19511599.aspx
pwatson
Rising Star

Not over the top at all...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Oh come on people.. it's all well and good listing devices but what about the details of each one? - EG does it have wifi lol.
This is an older layout of my once former and glorious network that no longer exists:

Only two computers had monitors - the latop and the desktop that had two. The others were headless and used when I needed more power! None of this network exists now, it's been done away with moons ago but I was rather proud of myself for making that lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

I have about 5 screens and two separate (different) ethernet over powerline connections plus two switches plus wifi.
Does a Pi connected to a TV count as a screen?

Community Veteran

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Does a Pi connected to a TV count as a screen?

Yes Smiley