Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Home network

I needed a little practice with Visio so I thought I'd draw out my home network, in all it's over-complicated glory!
Does anyone have anything this over-the-top?!
19 REPLIES 19
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Home network

Is that all Ben?  Wink
Netgear N300 main router <->Gig switch ->1/2/3
1 -> Main pc + laptop (with 2Tb usb drive doing file server duty) + Win pc normally off (used for flashing devices) + ethernet->usb adaptor->printer
2 -> HH2 -> xbox + pi (at the moment) + various devices as needed
3 -> Netgear 5 port 100Mb switch -> TV + Humax Sat box + Bush freeview box + media player (Sumvision MKV)
+ various devices by wifi, android tablet, 2 nooks, Orange live radio
1+2+3 are all hard wired together.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

At least I'm not alone Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I nearly brought home a 19" rack (small one) a few years back but decided against it  Grin
I forgot the HP Prolient server in the attic, mind you it isn't plugged in anymore  Lips_are_sealed (too much power (elec) for too little gain) it used to be my mail server. With 3 18Gb scsi disks in a raid 5, and 2 9Gb in a mirror, and a dlt backup unit in it - was a good server in its day (about 12 years ago) and was chucked out due to end of life  Shocked
picbits
Rising Star

I have the BT Modem going to my TP-Link Router, this goes to a gigabit switch which then feeds four Linux machines.
The Linux machines then filter / firewall / proxy / web / backup / print / email server  through two other access points and also provide access to the workshop which has another Linux machine running as a backup server plus a CCTV server.
I also have another access point/repeater by the telly which feeds the satellite box, Xbox, Blu-ray, Revo and Raspberry Pi.
Oh and there are around another 6 or 7 devices which access various parts of the network remotely.
I also have a box of Lanreach and Wireach modules which I'm planning on using to automate the rest of the house.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I see your visio, and raise you an MS Paint done in about 3 minutes lol

Home server 1 = Debian
Home Server 2 = Debian
Stream PC = Windows 7
Gaming PC = Windows 7
Router = TP Link running DD-WRT
Router + rack = downstairs, link to upstairs = 30m ethernet cable to the switch upstairs =]
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: Mattz0r
I see your visio, and raise you an MS Paint done in about 3 minutes lol

Grin Grin Grin That impressed me even more than the Visio map !  Grin Grin Grin
Mattz0r
Rising Star

bwahahaha Cheesy
Internet is a bit sluggish tonight though 😕
picbits
Rising Star

Pah - I've just spent the past week troubleshooting the wireless card on my new Dell laptop - I've managed to work out what has been killing it. It would drop to dialup speeds before totally freezing up (although it shows as connected in the taskbard).
I doubt I'll get any thanks from Dell though despite them burying their heads in the sand for the past 7 months about the problem .....
Mattz0r
Rising Star

ouch 😕 what was the problem?
picbits
Rising Star

It seems that the bluetooth on the module is interfering with the wireless. After a pint of cider, I had a flash of inspiration and did some testing and for the first time in a week I've had a stable wireless connection with the internal card.
Laptop was from the Dell outlet - it packed in 30 minutes after it was delivered and needed a new motherboard. The wireless has been doing my head in and it very nearly went back to Dell today.
Full(er) story in the thread below.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19511599.aspx
pwatson
Rising Star

Not over the top at all...
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Oh come on people.. it's all well and good listing devices but what about the details of each one? - EG does it have wifi lol.
This is an older layout of my once former and glorious network that no longer exists:

Only two computers had monitors - the latop and the desktop that had two. The others were headless and used when I needed more power! None of this network exists now, it's been done away with moons ago but I was rather proud of myself for making that lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have about 5 screens and two separate (different) ethernet over powerline connections plus two switches plus wifi.
Does a Pi connected to a TV count as a screen?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Does a Pi connected to a TV count as a screen?

Yes Smiley