Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG612 & OPNSense Firewall

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Re: HG612 & OPNSense Firewall

I was advised to get the modem to grab it and pass to OPNsense and set it to DHCP!

The HG612 will only support doing PPPoE when it is in router mode. In that mode it will not pass the public IP to Opnsense.

Well when we entered our PPPoE into OPNsense initally i could see my PLusnet static IP in OPNsense.

If that was the case , then a basic PPPoE connection must have been established, that's the only way it would have received the static IP.

But i had no internet connection 

that suggests that the gateway IP is not being set correctly.

some googling indicates problems in the past with opnsense not assigning the gateway/default route correctly, are you running the latest version ?

This https://github.com/opnsense/core/issues/2186 may be worth a read

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rockyuk
Dabbler

Ok,

I have not been able to get back into my modem at the moment but I have attached my WAN settings for my Pfsense. I have my Plusnet login details within the appropriate boxes etc.

This is my home setup

Plusnet Fibre with Static IP
BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B FTTC VDSL Fibre Modem
Fujitsu Futro S900 with Dual Nic Card
NETGEAR GS105E 5-port

OsoPolar
Dabbler

HI 

As you probably guess i am a noob re networking what would you suggest best way to configure and get max performance from OPNsense. Many on the forums do not like PPPoE as the connection in OPNsense.

Here is my ISP entry graph into network 

https://i.imgur.com/LUuHRQO.png

Do you think if PPPoE is set correctly it would perform as well as DHCP connection grabbing the PPPoE from another device?

Would you disreguard the modem and buy something else to get the static IP from PLusnet or is that not possible ?

Rockyuk
Dabbler

My setup works like this

Internet - HG612 Modem - Pfsense (Dual NIC for in and out) - Switch 

Then all my network connectivity goes into switch including Wifi (MESH), Server and CCTV via VLAN's

I just could not get OPNSense to work hence why I went back to Pfsense and it all work pretty much straight away. The thing that took some work was the VLAN's as I did not want all the devices/connections talking to each other should there be a compromise on the network.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@OsoPolar  what are the reasons for adding the Opnsense and changing the r7800 from a router to a wap ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OsoPolar
Dabbler

HI 

I was told it was a better firewall and better protection for my 3 homlab servers.

Plus it has a good name for itself.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Well its certainly more configurable, particularly in the area of forwarding rules BUT do you need port forwarding ?

If you do, then you will definitely need to get PPPoE working on it, with the HG612 in modem mode. Otherwise you will have two firewalls to configure, the HG612 and the Opnsense.

dustymiller259
Dabbler

So to answer the question, the PPPoE settings are added in OPNSense. Unfortunatly i am no longer with Plusnet, so cant help with how it was done, but I can recall it was done at the OPNSense level, not on the HG612.

OsoPolar
Dabbler

HI

I just added them username / password and auto connected  Smiley

OsoPolar
Dabbler

What if i do PPPoE credentials from OPNsense  

Rockyuk
Dabbler

@OsoPolar Is it all working now?

OsoPolar
Dabbler

Yes and No 
I got a good connection both WAN & LAN seem ok but been tinkering a little to much.
So i find OPNsense i gues pfsense is same very unforgiving if you make a mistake

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@OsoPolar once you've got a working configuration, then take a backup before tinkering! At least then when it goes pear shaped you can reset and restore from the backup!!

Rockyuk
Dabbler

I agree with MisterW I was just about to say that. As soon as you have it working create a backup and then tinker away. If all goes wrong then just restore previous working version 😊
OsoPolar
Dabbler

I have found the 3 timkers i have done have required a re-install Sad

But yes good idea