cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Chromecast - Succesfully Installed but cannot be found by any device - AP Isolation

thecrius
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Google Chromecast - Succesfully Installed but cannot be found by any device - AP Isolation

I have a Chromecast but use it rarely. Since I had Plusnet I actually never used it because the couple of times I tried it wasn't working and it was easier to just connect the HDMI cable to a laptop than wasting time trying to figure out why it wasn't working.

Today however I wanted to get to the bottom of it and resetted the Chromecast, have it connect first to the 3GHz and then the 5Ghz network and with both of them, the Google Home application was telling me it was installed and connected (I could see the confirmation on the TV as well) but it wasn't able to reach it.

Looking around there are topics that says that the AP Isolation is turned off by default and others saying it's turned on but both version agrees that there is no way to change this setting on the current firmware of the router.

Is this right? Is there any way of reaching this option and having control over the router?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Google Chromecast - Succesfully Installed but cannot be found by any device - AP Isolation

I doubt that this is an AP isolation problem. When you say that it is connected but can't reach it what precisely do you mean? If you log into your router and look at the network page can you see it connected? Have you got the wireless encryption of the router and Chromcast set the same, probably WPA2?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

thecrius
Rising Star

Re: Google Chromecast - Succesfully Installed but cannot be found by any device - AP Isolation

Yes to both. The router sees the Chromecast and all the other devices connected to it.

The wifi is encrypted on WPA2.

I tried both on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

I should also mention, now that I think about it, that I cannot even connect to my printer through the WiFi... I didn't realise it until now.

Here are the details of my router:

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ80358024
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 25/03/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 6 days, 20:39:05
6. Data rate: 6962 / 35274
7. Maximum data rate: 6893 / 40375
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 36.3 / 23.5
10. Signal attenuation: 35.5 / 20.9
11. Data sent/received: 32.5 GB / 438.6 GB
12. Broadband username: OMITTED
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-MPRX
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: 11
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-MPRX5
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: 3c:17:10:b4:af:5e
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

What makes you think that it's not an AP Isolation issue, Baldrick1?

Are there ever staff user replying to this subforum?

Baldrick1

As I understand AP isolation it allows two devices connected to the same wireless. network to communicate individually with the router but not with each other. I am not aware that the Plusnet hubs have this capability. Furthermore I was not aware that Cromecast needed this capability. Either way having followed this forum for some time I would expect multiple posts on this subject if it was enabled.

I am not surprised that few Plusnet staffers were around on a bank holiday Sunday.

You obviously only want to communicate with Plusnet staffers so I will leave it there.

Moderator and Customer

thecrius
Rising Star

No, I'm sorry Baldrik1, I don't need exclusively a staff member, I need people that respond with some knowledge of what we are talking.

A simple search shows what I mentioned earlier:

1. Google Chromecast requires IP Isolation turned off

2. Plusnet routers having the capability. Of course, no official response, that is the reason I'm asking for a staff member.

3. Other cases of users reporting issues (just searching on the plusnet community, not even whole google)

Baldrick1

I stand corrected!

Looking through the links in your latest post did you try this?  https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/chromecast/m-p/1098050#M256106

Moderator and Customer

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from My Router to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thecrius
Rising Star

Hey, I went through the topic linked and saw that I already tried everything they tried over there.

The only thing I didn't try are:

Have you tried the shortened SSID as suggested earlier
Have you tried connecting by pressing the WPS button on the router

Because shortening the name seems quite a stretch and there is no WPS button on the chromecast, in fact resetting it to factory tells you explicitly to go on the Google Home application and continue from there. Which is what I did.

Also, maybe not that important but that thread is from 2014. I don't know how much the router firmware could have changed (not even sure if the router is the same model anymore).

However , I have a personal router (quite old) I could try with that as a confirmation if the problem is the router or something else.

I'll do that this weekend.

Is there any place where i can find the correct settings to connect to plusnet from a non-plusnet router? Apart from username and password of course.

Baldrick1

The settings you need.are here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer

kamylka13

Hello, I think I found the solution. In Plusnet Hub Manager go to Advanced Settings > Firewall > UPnP OFF

I finished my setup and then enabled UPnP back again and everything appears to be working fine.

Bcherry85
Fixes: 1

I've tried all of the above, including turning off UPnP and extended UPnP. In fact, I've even turned the router's firewall off and keep getting the same error!! 😭