Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Chrome problem

FIXED
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Google Chrome problem

On windows uninstalling a program usually does not delete user data. 

If a reinstall still shows the black page issue then we can rule out it is an application fault. So that just leaves something in your chrome user data that's doing it.

Please try out one of my earlier suggestions.

P.S. still too hot to sleep tonight, hence why I'm replying now!

That's RPM to you!!
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

A few thoughts regarding settings

Is google sync enabled?

Check the 'On Start-up', how is this set? If it is Open the New Tab page, try something else.

Have you checked extensions for any rouge ones? Try turning some of them off.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Morning @Dan_the_Van .

Google sync is enabled, and 'On Start-up' is set to 'Open the New Tab page'.

I don't understand your question "Have you checked extensions for any rouge ones?" Apart from 'rouge' which may be a typo, where do I find these extensions to switch then off (and hopefully on again, just in case

An update - I have uninstalled Chrome again, rebooted (power off then on, not just Reboot), and reinstalled Chrome. That got rid of the Bookmarks, so I transferred them back from MS Edge. I still get the Black section.

Maybe this isn't the place to say so, but I have tried contacting the Chrome Community about this problem, but I cannot be sure they have even received my message - I cannot find my message on their website. My experience is the Plusnet User Forum is much easier to use, and better at supporting numpties like me. My thanks to all forum members for that

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Morning @RPMozley 

Have tried all (at least I think it is all) suggestions so far. No success unfortunately. Hopefully you can get some sleep soon

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Sorry, it's typo, rogue!

In setting's towards the bottom you will find extensions. Do you have any? 

Try changing on start-up to "Open a specific page or set of pages" put a site of your choice.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @Dan_the_Van  Have just tried your suggestion, but while Chrome showed it was at the new site, that block of the display was still black.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@penneck They say 'a picture paints a thousand words' - any chance of a screen shot?

John
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Morning @jab1 . Have attached a screen print. Unfortunately, Cutepdf, doesn't seem to allow me to print to a pdf file keeping a landscape view at the normal angle, so I dont know whether you will be able to view it without having to lay on your right side.

Please remember that the third line from the 'landscape' top of the screen shows some of my Bookmarks. If I select one (it doesn't matter which one), it opens correctly at that Bookmark (so no black screen), and then if I click on the Back Arrow, the view goes back to the one in the attachment but the black area has been filled with "Google" and 10 Bookmark icons (as it should be). Or, instead of that process, if I click on the '+' on the top line, a new tab opens, where the view is as per the attached screen print but with the "Google" and the icons (no black area) - I can then delete the original Tab. Whichever of these two processes I use, Chrome works perfectly from that point until I close Chrome. Even if I don't turn my pc off, every time I open Chrome, I have the same problem.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Very strange, @penneck . The only thing I can think of is that somehow your 'start screen' has got corrupted somehow, but as I don't use Chrome, I don't know how it works. Maybe one of the others on here might have a better idea?

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck 

What happens if you refresh the page while the black section is showing?

Maybe you could try the various methods of refreshing to see if there's any difference..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Fix
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @RobPN . I only know the circular arrow symbol for refresh, but that didn't have any effect. If you know of any other methods for refresh, please let me know, just in case

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello @Dan_the_Van . I've just tried your 'helpdeskgeek' process. I got right through to where it gets me to test disabling extensions. I had tried the disabling extensions already this morning, and that had no effect. However, the 'helpdeskgeek' process got me to disable the Hardware Acceleration (I think that is what it was called), just before it told me to try disabling the extensions. This time, disabling the Docs extension may have done the trick - I have started Chrome about 6 or 7 times, and it worked correctly each time.

So, fingers crossed. If it proves to be the answer to my problem, I will come back to your post and tick the appropriate box

Thankyou

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck wrote:

... If you know of any other methods for refresh, please let me know, just in case

@penneck 

I was thinking of F5 or and Ctrl+F5, but it seems you've got somewhere now with @Dan_the_Van 's suggestion.  Cool

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN , thankyou for letting me know about those refreshes, and yes it does look like Dan_the_Van's suggestion has done the trick. I must have started Chrome successfully at least 20 times by now. Anyway, thankyou for your help. It was the strangest problem, and the solution wasn't obvious. I'm grateful to you