cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Chrome Issue

Mav
Fixes: 515

Google Chrome Issue

Since one of the recent versions of Chrome was updated (not sure which but now on 62.0.3202.62 Official Build) (64-bit) I have noticed multiple instances (22) appearing in Windows Task Manager (W7 Pro 64) as in the screenshot below. These all start to appear as soon as Chrome is started and, currently, take up around 1GB of RAM.

I had wondered if it had anything to do with the number of tabs open ( 18 ) but don't think so.

My main browser is FF but would like to know why Chrome behaves this way and is there setting I may have missed to remove all the extra instances in Task Manager?

Capture.JPG

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

14 REPLIES 14
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Google Chrome Issue

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

What is the full path for all those instances of Chrome?
They appear to be running from a temp folder which normally isn't good!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just out of interest I wanted to have a look at Google Earth.

I tried to open in Firefox and received a browser incompatibility message.

I tried Edge and IE11 both giving the same message.

It advises that the only compatible browser is Chrome Shocked

I was about to install it until I read this topic.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Rather naughty that...

bad chrome.png

I'm using Pale moon x64

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The next thing will be Google maps will only run on Chrome Crazy2

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I currently have 2 tabs open and Task Manager shows 9 instances of Chrome running, using about 500k of memory.  How about if T is the number of open tabs then:

Instances = 2*T + 5

That works in my case but would give 23 instances for 18 tabs open.  Opening another tab caused a further two instances of Chrome in Task Manager so the postulated formula is holding.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I always have a lot of Chrome windows and Task Manager processes running so I just checked mine;

74 Chrome windows open

87  Task Manager instances

Tab count probably well into the 100s

Memory/RAM usage several GB

Also 10 IE11 windows open / 30 TM processes (including main one), numerous tabs.

Mav

@TheRoadCrew I found that page just after posting but also found this page which seemed worrying.

After posting I ran CCleaner, Malwarebytes (found several PUPs which I removed) and SpyBot then rebooted.

@ReedRichards wrote:

I currently have 2 tabs open and Task Manager shows 9 instances of Chrome running, using about 500k of memory.  How about if T is the number of open tabs then:

Instances = 2*T + 5

I still had 18 Tabs with 23 instances running in Task manager using around 1.5 GB RAM!

I have now knocked it down to 7 tabs with 11 instances (not 12) but still around 600MB RAM used!

On a related note it seems, perhaps, that FF (56.0.01) is doing much the same as I have 4 windows open (13, 12, 14 & 4 tabs open respectively) with 4 instances shown in Task Manager. Again, I am quite certain that, until a few weeks ago, no matter how many windows/tabs were open, only one instance was showing in Task manager.

I mainly use Chrome for those sites that need Flash as I removed that from FF ages ago due to issues. It was easier to keep the tabs open than having to reopen them but I think that now I will use bookmarks and close them when not required.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

..., I am quite certain that, until a few weeks ago, no matter how many windows/tabs were open, only one instance was showing in Task manager.

I mainly use Chrome for those sites that need Flash as I removed that from FF ages ago due to issues. It was easier to keep the tabs open than having to reopen them but I think that now I will use bookmarks and close them when not required.

@Mav I first started using Chrome almost 18 months ago mainly due to it being more 'efficient' than IE when lots of windows were open, and I'm positive that since that time it always shows a large number of Chrome processes open in Task Manager. Wink

Mav

@RobPN

That comment was pointed towards FF as I used to regularly check it in TM. I didn't used to check Chrome.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Apologies for my misunderstanding.  Embarrassed

Mav

No problemSmiley

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Mav wrote:

On a related note it seems, perhaps, that FF (56.0.01) is doing much the same as I have 4 windows open (13, 12, 14 & 4 tabs open respectively) with 4 instances shown in Task Manager.

If you go into about:support does the number of Multiprocess Windows enabled match what Task manager reports?

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Strat wrote:

Just out of interest I wanted to have a look at Google Earth.

I tried to open in Firefox and received a browser incompatibility message.

I tried Edge and IE11 both giving the same message.

It advises that the only compatible browser is Chrome :shocked

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2017/10/30/google-earth-firefox/