Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free anti spyware

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Free anti spyware

I've been running comodo products, they have a pretty excellent range of products all free  Shocked
The firewall with defence+ is an awesome piece of kit these days with features you would find on a paid for app.
God
Grafter

Quote from: PJ

I have frequently used Spybot Search and Destroy and never had any problems with it (was actually far more stable than the paid for solution Spyware Doctor- a free version of which now comes with the Google Pack).

I have been using the Spyware Doctor Google Pack Free version with my Vista box for several months without any stability problems. It also auto updates. What problems did you have?
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Anybody noticed another free AVG product; Anti-root? tried it, but it didn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it's no good, just hopefully there was nothing to find.  http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/beta/avgarkt/avgarkt-setup-1.1.0.42.exe
Only thing I did find, it would only run as administrator.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Which AVG do provide- there is a trial version of the paid for version but there's also a free version that isn't (AFAIK) time limited.

Computeractive magazine is giving AVG anti-virus Professional for free for a full year. 
www.computeractive.co.uk/avg/index
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: the

Also use Spybot 1.5 but since I upgraded from1.4 it doesnt find anything which undermoines my confidence.

I've found the same thing.  The previous version found a number of problems each day but the latest version hardly ever finds anything.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have to agree about SpyBOT search and destroy. Just ran a scan, after updating, the only 1 item it found was er! SpyBot with 11 entries, which it failed to fix...
Off to see what Spy doctor comes up with.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
The_10th
Grafter

As said previously, Spyware Terminator and googlepack free version of Spyware Doctor, not to mention Spyware Blaster.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I don't know why Spybot isn't finding the same level of spyware entries as before.
I also use AdAware which I thought did a similar job but does anybody know if this is right? 
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I think there is something wrong with Spybot new version (1.5).  Old one, 1.4 was fine and seemed to be as good as Ad-Aware where both occasionally found items the other missed.  If you look at Spybot forums there are lots of reports of problems.  I don't know what has gone wrong with what used to be  great product.
I couldn't get 1.5 to update correctly and I have now uninstalled it until a new version comes out.
God
Grafter

Quote from: God
I have been using the Spyware Doctor Google Pack Free version with my Vista box for several months without any stability problems. It also auto updates. What problems did you have?

Had to re-install a number of times when error messages cropped up or the files became corrupted- needless to say it was ditched as soon as the licence period was up.

Hmm... Well certainly no problems here. Also I have to say that their free firewall seems very good, certainly up to zone alarm standards, what is more it doesn't keep trying to upsell you to a paid version, there is only one fully featured version and it is free.