cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File names when recording audio files on CDs

penneck
Aspiring Pro

File names when recording audio files on CDs

For some time I have been recording my old LP records onto my pc with the aim of putting them onto CDs. Each track on the pc has a filename that indicates what the music is. However, when they have been put onto the CD, the CD contents list shows them as "Track01.cda". Is there a way that I can persuade my file name to go there rather than this Track01 name?
Thanks for any help
23 REPLIES 23
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: File names when recording audio files on CDs

You need to edit the metadata for each track.
Two of the best ways I use are with mp3tag or if you have WinAmp installed you can go to File > View file info for each track as it's playing and edit the data there. If using the latter I tend to enter the data into the ID3v2 tab then click Copy to ID3V1 before clicking OK.

Edit: I have made the assumption that you recorded the tracks to the PC as mp3s

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Another one is Easytag 2.2.3 
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/easytag-list/2014-June/msg00021.html
You can download a version for Linux or Windows...... 
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It really depends on HOW you ripped the album to xxx.cda.
Not a format I am familiar with cda.
As has been said above you need to write some metadata either to the file or to a text file in the format of an .inf with the album/artist/track listing in the file. You could also try accessing the cddb to see if it recognised the files.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I recorded the LPs onto my pc as mp3 files. They changed to cda as they were burned onto the CD as an audio CD. Incidentally, it may be that my original mail could be misread so just in case - all of the tracks on the CD obtained their names in the form of "Track01.cda", "Track02.cda", etc
I'm getting into new territory (for me) when you write of metadata, .inf files, or the cddb, so I am lost at that point. I will have to investigate them and see how I get on
Thanks to all
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 'proper' CD should have a .WAV file format when written. Also the specification is limited with regard to metadata as this has to be written to the INFO chunk and not all hardware and software players honour it.
However if you do want to play these in your car for example add CD-Text to the CD when written. This will then be used by the player to display it on the Player's UI.
Mav

Even better if your car has an mp3 CD player then burn as that. You can get a lot more tracks on it plus the metadata is easily read and displayed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Just in case it is important, I used two different methods to get the mp3 files onto CDs - (1) I copied the files to the CD in Windows Explorer then told Win Explorer to burn the files on; and (2) I used Nero 7 (it is quite old) to create an audio CD. Both methods got the music onto the CDs, and both CDs worked, its just that if you looked at the CD using Win Explorer, it listed them all as Track01, etc
Cheers
penneck
Aspiring Pro

To catch up on the two posts that came in as I was writing my previous post, I was planning to use the CDs in my car, so being able to display the music titles would be ideal. My car is two years old, but I've only just bought it so I am learning about it - I don't know if it will accept mp3 CDs or not. I know the cda files work in it. I guess this is all part of the 'experiment and see what happens' lark
As with the metadata, I have to figure out how/if I can burn mp3 files straight on, or get them converted to wav.
Thanks
Mav

Most modern cars seem to be mp3 CD compatible.
Good burning software should automatically change mp3s into the format for audio CDs as they are being burnt.
I use imgburn to burn both mp3 and audio CDs. It's relatively easy to use and their forum is very helpful.
Why not try burning an mp3 CD and testing it out... I normally get between 95 and 100 tracks on a standard CD. Saves having to fiddle around changing CDs Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your car's only two years old then I suspect you'll be able to play an MP3 format CD, and is a much better option over a Red Book CD (.WAV). Also, you may want to see if your car's player supports DVDs as well, as many players do. If this is the case then you'll get oodles more MP3s on a DVD than a CD.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have just burnt another CD using my Nero 7. It was a bit of an experiment, but I selected Audio CD/Create Jukebox CD, and it burnt the music as mp3. I then tested it in my car radio and it worked. The radio also displayed the title correctly though a bit shortened. It's a bit of a criticism I have of the radio that the display wastes a lot of space on garbage such as unimportant symbols, but the information that you would want has nowhere near enough space. I may have to dig the radio instruction book out to see if the display can be adjusted
Anyway, thankyou very much to everyone for all the help. As per usual, PlusNet Forum to the rescue
Mav

Quote from: penneck
It's a bit of a criticism I have of the radio that the display wastes a lot of space on garbage such as unimportant symbols, but the information that you would want has nowhere near enough space. I may have to dig the radio instruction book out to see if the display can be adjusted

I had a similar problem with odd characters being shown and solved it by ensuring the same info was entered for both ID3v1 and ID3c2 fields.
The display on my Zafira has very limited space and titles sometimes get truncated.
Hope that helps.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've got an Insignia, so I suppose the radios are similar. Even when listening to a radio station rather than a CD, I still have those space wasters, and any 'messages' from Classic FM are truncated so much they are pointless. Radio 3 sometimes gets enough data on the screen to identify what I am listening to.
Bearing in mind it looks like I am going to have to use my Nero 7 to create the CDs, how do I enter data into ID3v1 and ID3c2 (I've no idea what these are)?
Mav

Years since I used Nero 7 - I found it over-complicated for what I wanted it to do so can't help with that but try mp3tag that I linked to above or Easytag that shutter suggested. They are both pretty straightforward in how the enter the data.