Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Wifi Range

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Extending Wifi Range

I'm looking for a bit of advice from someone who has done the following. There do seem to be lots of options and I'd prefer to get something with a bit of a positive review if possible.

I want to extend wifi coverage to the bottom of my garden. Its way out of range from my house router. My drive and car live there and I sometimes need to use a laptop on wifi with the ethernet port connected to the car. I've got a wired connection to the garage though so I want to pick up the wired connection there and extend the wifi from it.

I want to keep the same network name so that the coverage is continuous right down the garden. I've had this working with an old Technicolor TG582 but try as I might I can't get it to work properly. It nearly works but it fails to propagate internet requests. It works fine extending wifi for intranet but seems to always want to handle internet itself for some reason.

Anyone got such a setup able to recommend?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Extending Wifi Range

@quelquod 

When you say that you have a wired connection to the garage, is that mains or an Ethernet cable?

When you say that it's nearly working with the 582, is that located in the garage on the end of the Ethernet cable?

If it's an Ethernet cable with the 582 on the end then you need to convert the 582 into an Access Point. If you do a Google search you will find instructions but basically all that you have to do is turn of DHCP on the 582 and change the 582 IP address to one in the range 192.168.1.0-63.

If your configuration is different more information would help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks @Baldrick1 actually I've already  toandfro'd with you and misterW on this one a while back and it seems that my 582 must have a fault. It invariably tries to service internet requests itself as an access point although it passes intranet requests back to the router just fine. Anyway its wifi is low-band only so I've decided not to progress any other attempts with it.

I've wired ethernet to the garage. The 582 works exactly the same wherever it is on the network ie it is just as useless in the garage as elsewhere.

I'm really looking for a recommendation for a suitable alternative (ethernet in access point) which someone is already using satisfactorily.

Thanks again.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@quelquod if you want to give the 582 one last try ... Save your configuration , it should generate a .ini file. Drop me a PM with the file and i'll compare it with my saved config from when I used the 582 as a WAP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ObeOne72

I’m new to this and very much a novice.  I tried following advice reposting but couldn't find a way other than this to do so.

I live in an old bungalow with thick walls.   I have a Hub One router provided by Plusnet and have a reasonable signal and good speeds in parts of the house, but not outside. That said, the signal in our lounge isn’t great even with plug in extender with ethernet cable to the TV.  We are now looking to buy a new smart tv and I’m concerned the wifi signal wont be good enough to get the best from it.  I read somewhere that a mesh kit might be the answer.   I’m not savvy enough to sort this my self and would appreciate advice about the kind of trader I need - for example do I want a Tv person, an IT person. Obviously, I don't want a cowboy so what shouldI be looking for please.  Thanks.